Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mingo062 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Shift lock switch
    I have a 1998 Ford Expedition. It would shift out of park. I determined that it was the brake light/shift lock switch so I replaced it. Still wouldn't work. Determined of all things that it was a fuse. Replaced it and it work fine for about 2 weeks then the fuse blew again. I replaced the fuse and it blew immediately... anyone have any ideas why? Thanks.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 11:49 AM
    You could have a short near brake lights, from there it goes to signal head, then brake switch.
    Try your 4 way flashers and walk around vehicle noting that all work.
    If Flasher fuse blows, problem likely between Signal head and Brake light bulbs.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 4, 2008, 03:39 PM
    Do you have trailer wiring? Check for any broken/damaged wires and any corrosion on the connector.
    amaskyjj Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 05:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mingo062
    I have a 1998 Ford Expedition. It would shift out of park. I determined that it was the brake light/shift lock switch so i replaced it. Still wouldn't work. Determined of all things that it was a fuse. Replaced it and it work fine for about 2 weeks then the fuse blew again. I replaced the fuse and it blew immediately...anyone have any ideas why? Thanks.
    Mingo, I am having the same issue with my 2002 excursion and found the fuse blown as well.When replaced, it immediately blew. I also replaced the brake on/off switch and all was fine for a week, then bam, again same problem. I then un-plugged the entire trailer harness underneath the rear bumper and again, I replaced the fuse and it was OK for a day. I went to leave for work the next morning and again I could not get it out of park and yes, the fuse again was blown. I am still searching for the cause and am assuming it is a short. All brake lights are functional and see nothing out. Would appreciate any findings you may have with your problem and I as well will get back to you when the issue is resolved on my end. Thanks !
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2008, 06:25 AM
    If the fuse blows when pedal is pushed then it is likely from pedal to signal head then brake lights. If it blows without pushing pedal, short is before brake switch.
    Amasky, I'm guessing you have more than 2 wires on brake switch. Due to the fact, your fuse blows, AND brake lights work.

Mar 7, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Yes I do have more than one wire off the BOO switch. Still working on this ! I am assuming there is a short near the rear end somewhere.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amaskyjj
    Yes I do have more than one wire off the BOO switch. Still working on this ! I am assuming there is a short near the rear end somewhere.
    I thought you posted over a week ago that you had already fixed this problem..

Mar 7, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384
    I thought you posted over a week ago that you had already fixed this problem...?
    Well so I thought.. Like I said, problem was all set for a week then again same thing..
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Definite short somewhere. Unfortunately for you, you must begin tracing wires(major headache).
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Do you have more than 2 wires on Brake switch?

Mar 9, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Do you have more than 2 wires on Brake switch?
    Yes there is. Has a harness that plugs in the BOO switch

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shift lock release [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the shift lock release located on a ford exployer

Air lock or hammer lock [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how I can rememdy hammer lock or airlock? I think that is what it is. I just bought this house that has been sitting for 3 months unoccuppied. I connected my washer and when the washer starts to cycle by pulling water to the unit, I hear this bang evertime it purges water. ...

After replacing Brake Light Switch Now can't shift car out of Park. [ 2 Answers ]

I tried to replace the brake light switch to solve my "Brake Lights Remain On" problem. Now I can not get my car out of park. Why can't I now put the car into gear? I have an automatic transmission. 2002 Ford Explorer is my car.

Shift Stuck! [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 96 Toyota Camry and at this time the shift is stuck in Park. The car will turn over, but can't get the gear out of park. Any suggestions:(

Shift Key! [ 1 Answers ]

When I want to open a link in a web page and also in an email message I have to push the shift key the same time I click on the link. How can that be fixed so only clicking on it will open it? Thanks, Jim

View more questions Search