Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carolki Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Evening active puppy
    My 5 month old male Boston Terrier/Beagel is usually great during the day. I play with him periodically. About 5:30 PM I take him for a 20 minute walk. From the time we get home until about 9 PM he becomes devil dog. He barks if in his crate and if out of his crate all he wants to do is bite and snap at us. It's like he has two personalities. Is there something I can do to calm him in the evening?
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 8, 2008, 05:12 PM
    Is it just you and him during the day, and then more family members in the evening? It sounds like he may be getting more excited and wound up at night because of the extra family activity.
    I would try to make his 5:30 walk a little longer and a little more brisk, to tire him out.
    Crate him during dinner with an interactive toy to keep him occupied (Buster Cube, stuffed Kong, etc.).
    Afterwards spend another 20-30 minutes of active play with all members of the family using a ball or other toy--biting is only allowed on toys!--a quick trip outside for the bathroom, then make it clear to him that it is wind-down time. He can play with his interactive toys out of the crate if he will behave, otherwise crate him while family watches TV, kids do homework, etc.
    Do NOT give in to his antics & let him out of his crate, this just teaches himthat he has an effective method to manipulate you! He is still young and trying to see how far he can stretch the boundary lines.
    Carolki Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carolbcac
    Is it just you and him during the day, and then more family members in the evening? It sounds like he may be getting more excited and wound up at night because of the extra family activity.
    I would try to make his 5:30 walk a little longer and a little more brisk, to tire him out.
    Crate him during dinner with an interactive toy to keep him occupied (Buster Cube, stuffed Kong, etc.).
    Afterwards spend another 20-30 minutes of active play with all members of the family using a ball or other toy--biting is only allowed on toys!--a quick trip outside for the bathroom, then make it clear to him that it is wind-down time. He can play with his interactive toys out of the crate if he will behave, otherwise crate him while family watches TV, kids do homework, etc.
    Do NOT give in to his antics & let him out of his crate, this just teaches himthat he has an effective method to manipulate you! He is still young and trying to see how far he can stretch the boundry lines.

Thank you for the suggestions I will try them. The family does come in at that time. We will put in another play time right after dinner before we settle down for the evening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Evening or morning? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been trying to lose weight for about 3 months now and haven't seen any improvement. If at all, I feel like I have gained. I only eat around once a day and snack through out the day. I have cut out cokes,and tea. I was a big tea drinker. Anyway, I still have to have some kind of caffeine...

Evening bag [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to make an evening bag?:p

Fall evening outdoor wedding [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I'm going to attend an fall evening outdoor wedding. The weather forecast tells me that it will be cold. Do I choose a dress, pant suit,? What about a wrap. My husband is the minister.

View more questions Search