Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    German-American Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Working in Germany and Two US States
    Hello,

I worked at a German company for all of 2007 (started in July 2006) and lived in Germany for 7 months of the year. I moved to Michigan for 5 months during 2007 but continued being paid from the German company and paid no US taxes. I maintained a mailing address in Rhode Island but did not pay rent there.
    I am married and my wife earned income in both RI and MI during 2007 and we are filing jointly for 2007.
    Should I complete a Non-Resident MI Return and Resident RI Return or Part-Time Resident Return for each state?

Thank you for your help!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 03:33 PM
    If you are a U.S, citizen or resident, you must report your worldwide income (even Germany income) on your tax return and you can only file a resident tax return.
    For taxes paid in Germany, you will get credit. For this you file Form 1116. You may even have to pay State taxes.

You will file state tax returns of all the states where you had income.
    German-American Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 05:13 AM
    MukatA,

Thanks for the help. My follow-up question would be, do I file as a Resident / Part-Time Resident / Non-Resident for my State Returns (MI / RI)?
    I will file a normal 1040 for the Federal Return, using Form 1116 but it makes a large difference as to whether I am a Resident or not for the State Returns.
    Thanks again for your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

College student working in 2 different states [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter is a college student in NYC. She worked part time there in 2007, and also worked part time at home in Mass as well. I still claim her as a dependent on my taxes. Does she file state taxes in both states? Because she is still in school, is Massachusetts considered her residence? Thanks...

Taxes when Married, Living & Working in Two Different States [ 3 Answers ]

Dear someone, My husband and I are married but currently live and work in two different states -- I in Kentucky and he in Illinois. Will this impact our federal filing and, if so, how? And how do we file state taxes? Also, how do I go about finding a tax professional with expertise that can...

Clueless on how to ship a puppy from the states to Germany [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I are currently trying to buy a Siberian Husky Puppy and we can't find one anywhere in Germany, so we are having to look on the internet for pups in the states. We've found some, but we are clueless on how we will ship it over here if we buy it. Does anyone know how this will work? And...

Spouse full time residents in separate states : states taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I got married in Dec 2006. He was a full time CA resident in 2006 and still lives there and got income only from CA. I was a fulltime Kentucky resident in 2006 and still live here and got my income only from KY. We can file federal taxes jointly. But what do we do for state...

Working in two states, different company [ 1 Answers ]

I have worked for the same company and in two different states last year. I lived in NY from Jan to July 2006 and then transferred to PA in August. I am a current resident in PA. I received two W2 forms in the mail for working in each state. The figure in Line 1 in both W2s are the same I...

View more questions Search