Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gldmontana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Access denied to WMI
    When I try to collect system information I get the following message:
    "Can't Collect Information
    Access denied to Windows Management Instrumentation server on this computer. Have an administrator change your access permissions."
    I believe I am the administrator since it's my home computer and I'm the only user.
    Can you help?
    Thanks...
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Mar 3, 2008, 06:31 AM
    For Windows XP - To rebuild a corrupt WMI, perform the following:

Rebuilding the WMI Repository
    If you experience behavior when using WMI, such as application errors or scripts that used to work are no longer working, you may have a corrupted WMI repository. To fix a corrupted WMI repository, you have to reinstall WMI. Follow these steps:

Click Start, Run and type CMD
    Type this command and press Enter:

Net stop winmgmt

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to %systemroot%\system32\wbem directory and delete the Repository directory (wbem). By default, the repository folder is located in the C:\Windows\system32\wbem directory.
    Switch to Command Prompt window, and type:

Net start winmgmt

Re-registering the WMI components
    The .DLL and .EXE files used by WMI are located in %windir%\system32\wbem. You might need to re-register all the .DLL and .EXE files in this directory. If you are running a 64-bit system you might also need to check for .DLLs and .EXE files in %windir%\sysWOW64\wbem.

To re-register the WMI components, run the following commands at the command prompt:

Cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem

For %i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %i

For %i in (*.exe) do %i /RegServer
    gldmontana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Hi,
    I tried that method and am still getting the same message, however, I have more than one repository in the wbem directory... there is also a folder named "repository.001" and another named "repository.002". The repository and repository.001 both contain a folder name "FS" that has seven files in it and also a CFG file titled "$WinMgmt.CFG". "repository.002" only has the "FS" folder in it which is empty.
    Any ideas of what I should do next?
    Thanks!
    zorroplateado Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2009, 06:18 PM
    I typed Net stop winmgmt and got the answer "the especified does not exit as an installed servises
    zorroplateado Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2009, 06:23 PM

I try to fix my wmi and follow the direction but when ia type the "net stop winmgmt" the system answer is "the especified service does not exist as an installed service

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

D drive access denied [ 1 Answers ]

After Re Installation xp professional, my d drive cannot access. Access denied error shows. Please help me to fix this problem

Access denied error [ 1 Answers ]

I have the same problem. It was access denied!! Please give me any answer as soon as possible.. its urgent! Its life and death!! Please... :confused:

Access denied c: drive [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am in serious trouble. I am not able to access my c: drive(when I open my computer it is shown like (Access Denied (c wherever I click on the icon it says c:\ not accessible. Access Denied. For this drive the sharing and security tab in the properties window is missing. So I can't view...

Access Denied to folder... [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, can anyone help me? A while ago my computer had some problem, so I had to reinstall windows. When I got it all set up again, I noticed that some of my old documents had been saved from the previous installation. But now I cannot access the folder that these documents are in. When I try to...

Access is denied ? [ 2 Answers ]

There is still a problem when I want to access to my ibm computer through my emachine PC I can access it easily but when try to access my emachine through ibm it says emachine is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource . Contact the administrator of this server to...

View more questions Search