Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tb7677 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Foreclosure OR deed the property back to the bank
    Ok I did some reading and there was law passed that states the IRS will not tax you on Phantom income or the difference in what you owe the bank and what your house was sold for in Foreclosure. So what should someone do facing foreclosure?? Allow the home to go into foreclosure or Deed the property back to the bank??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Well do you want a foreclosure to be on your credit report, or not ?

Some banks will allow a deed instead of foreclosures, others will not, some will allow a short sale, others will not.

IF you know you are going to be foreclosed it is better if they accept the deed back, you don't owe them the difference.
    tb7677 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Well I don't know for sure if they plan on me paying the difference or not. All I know is they asked how long the property has been for sale, over 90 days, etc, etc. I don't know the final details other than they proposed that I can deed the property back to them.

But if they sale the property for some stupid low ball amount and come back to me saying I owe them 50K or something then I would rather take the foreclosure or a BK before I have to try and pay them back 50K or whatever amount. Also according to the new laws if I foreclose I am not liable for any amount of money that is not recuperated after the auction of the home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turning property back to the bank [ 6 Answers ]

Due to many unforseen situations, I cannot make the payements on my house and want to know if I can turn the property over to the mortgage company? If so, how do I go about dong this?

Is it a good idea to deed property back to bank,when home is abount to go into forclo [ 1 Answers ]

I have a relative facing forcloser I was wondering if it woul dbe better to deed property back to bank would it help him a s far as his credit report. Thanks

Foreclosure, and bank attaching other property [ 1 Answers ]

:( If one house, my husband and I own, forecloses, can the bank attach, or put a lien, on our other house? We have a terrible loan we took out on our rental (14% and rising) because of a year of unemployment. We can no longer keep up the huge payment on our second home. Our credit was destroyed...

Need to Deed a House back to the bank [ 5 Answers ]

I currently own 2 properties and I need to sell one of them. It is a condo in Howell MI. We have tired everything to try and sell the property from paying closing costs to increasing the commission for the agents selling or buying the property. We have run out of ideas and money and now we need to...

Deeding back property/foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I purchased a condo 1yr ago and recently had a disaster clean up crew in due to extreme flooding from cracks in the foundations and raingutters in stalled in correctly etc. The basement is destroyed , l lost 1100 sq ft carpenting ,paneling . Est. to repair $20.000 + Condo assoc....

View more questions Search