Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pipeproblems Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2006, 07:32 PM
    Pipe banging other than water hammer?
    Hi there,
    Recently the pipes in our house have started banging. My initial thoughts were loosely hanging pipes or water hammer. I secured the pipes better/tighter with hangers, but the problem continues. Water hammer would be a possible idea, except it only seems to happen from the toilet pipes and only when the toilet STARTS flushing, not when it finishes filling like water hammer. Otherwise the bang is loud and sounds like water hammer. Any ideas?

Sincerely frustrated ;)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2006, 07:43 AM
    I assume that you have a regular float ball ballcock. It sounds like the washer may be loose and the water going by is setting up a "chatter" situation or you have a small pebble cought in the supply line that the flow of water bang against the seat when the ballcock kicks on. Try this. Shut the water of the tank, unscrew the three screws on top of the ballcock and lift the float ball and washer assembly up and out. Check too see if the washer is seated correctly and that the seat is clear. Now place a pan over the open ballcock and turn the water back on to flush out the supply line.
    Reassemble and give it a flush. Sound better now? Regards, Tom
    pipeproblems Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2006, 09:53 AM
    Speedball1, to answer your question about the ballcock the toilet doesn't have a metal ballcock assembly as I remember them but rather has a styrofoam float that raises a flap. Same concept I guess but I wanted to mention it in case it made a diff.
    I looked at the gasket on the bottom of the "flap" and it does appear that it is stretched or not seated well. Problem#1, so I will replace this although being all plastic it doesn't appear that there are any screws present. I will figure this part out. ;)
    Some additional investigation has brought up that probably due to the gasket problem the water level in the tank decreases very slowly. Eventually there is a trickle of water in to refill the tank to the correct level. At the start of this refill there is also the familiar BANG. To me this would seem to imply that while the flap gasket will fix the slow leaking, the bang must be related to something else... something on the intake part of the toilet system. Thoughts?

Sincerely frustrated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2006, 11:01 AM
    You might replace the flapper if it seeps a bit but the ball cock is a long way from being the flapper. Are we on the same page here? The ballcock lets water into the tank while the flapper lets it out. You problem sounds like it's in the supply system, you're addressing the drainage system. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thoughts on installing water hammer arresters [ 7 Answers ]

What is the modern thinking on the necessity of installing water hammer arresters or air cushions in new plumbing for a bathroom and/or kitchen? What is the method for placing them, 1 at each valve or one at the entrance (hot and cold) to cover the whole house? How are they installed as far as how...

Water hammer/Air Lock Problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, When ever I turn on my hot water (basin) for the very first time for the day, there is no banging noise. However, after a few minutes after hot water is flushed out, when I try to turn on the hot water again, there is a loud banging noise. This only happens to my hot water and not the...

Water hammer question [ 4 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet, use the shower, or run the washing machine, there is a loud screaching/moaning noise coming from my prv. I can even feel the vibration in the cold water pipe in my garage. I assume this is water hammer. The guy at Lowe's said I needed an anti-water hammer device so I...

Water Hammer Effect [ 1 Answers ]

Newbiehomeowner New Member Join Date: Oct 2005 Posts: 25 Water Hammer Effect -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a question for you and an update on my backing up toilet problems of a few months ago. When my short cycling well...

Water Hammer [ 1 Answers ]

I have what appears to be water hammer in a 18 yr old home. Water arrestors (the blue oil can) are installed. From what I've read, it seems like the solution is to remove the air from the water lines starting with shutting off the main water valve, then draining the pipes. If this is true, then...

View more questions Search