Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sean92128 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2008, 11:43 PM
    William jefferson clinton for vp?
    Constitutionally, can a former 2 term president run or serve as vice president? Does the presidential succession have some bearing on this. Thank you in advance
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 04:02 AM
    No he cannot .To be VP means that you meet the criteria for being President . The 22nd Amendment prohibits him from being the President again. But that alone doesn't completely answer it because the amendment only says he could not be elected again. You have to take it in combination with the 12th Amendment which states : But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States.

There is reasonable debate on this interpretation of the 2 Amendments taken together and it has not been tested in court. However ;it is clear to me that the original intent of the 22nd Amendment was to prevent someone from serving more than 2 terms or 10 years ( in the case of a VP becoming President mid-term) .

sean92128 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Feb 29, 2008, 09:10 AM
    Thanks, good answer... I assume that Clinton would be able to run for Congress, theoretically, what would happen if he was 3rd in line and something happened to the pres and the veep?
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:23 AM
    He cannot assume any position in the line of succession . However you are correct that if he checked his ego at the door he could become a Representative . That actually has precedence. John Quincy Adams served 17 years in the House after his Presidency ended. Also William Howard Taft became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court after he served as President .

I have heard rumors that Bill Clinton covets Sec.General of the UN but it is not likely he will ever get that appointment .
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 10:44 PM
    I heard the stories that some Democrats would like him to head the U.N.
    If Hillary did become Pres I am sure they would find a way. :(
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 11:18 PM
    They need to give him something to do. I can't imagine him loafing around the White House all day liquored up and in the mood for some hoochie coochie.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 11:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    They need to give him something to do. I can't imagine him loafing around the White House all day liquored up and in the mood for some hoochie coochie.

Uh nah
    It's Hillary's turn to do the blue dress thangy!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 11:31 PM
    And she won't be able to adequately answer the red phone at 3 a.m. if she's all stressed out wondering where Bill is at that hour of the morning.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 11:32 PM
    I don't think she cares WHERE Bill is
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2008, 11:36 PM
    Probably true enough.

At least he is quiet again and not messing up her campaign any more.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 01:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    uh nah
    It's Hillary's turn to do the blue dress thangy!
    That would be the blue pants thangy.
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 02:00 AM
    Yuk double nightmare Evita as first lady and Bill as First Philanderer.
    purplewings Posts: 145, Reputation: 24

May 1, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Since he can't become president again, he can't be vice president or secretary of state but he could hold a lesser position if it weren't all about power and prestige.

"I wonder why both of the Clinton's don't just avoid politics and do something wonderful for this country with all the money the presidency has brought them. We can always use financial support for museums, Libraries, and anything to raise interest in the arts.

The Clinton's have made a $100-million fortune since leaving the White House, but a Politico analysis found that hasn’t kept Bill Clinton from taking full advantage of the publicly funded perks offered to ex-presidents. In fact, his presidential retirement benefits cost taxpayers almost as much as those of the other two living ex-presidents combined."

The price tag for Clinton’s federal retirement allowance from 2001 through the end of this year will run $8 million, compared to $5.5 million for George H. W. Bush’s and $4 million for Jimmy Carter’s during the same period.

So much for giving of yourself...

It sure helps explain the question: Why politics? Now I'm starting to ask 'why should the citizens even care since it's no longer about serving us but all about serving themselves'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hamlet by William Shakespeare [ 3 Answers ]

There are a variety of perceptions of Shakespeare's Hamlet. What I need a better understanding of deals with the issue about The Ghost, Hamlet Senior, being good or evil in asking his son to avenge him. Why is he "good" or why is he "evil"?

Will choice in November 2008 be Clinton v Clinton Light? [ 22 Answers ]

WASHINGTON (AP) - Republican John McCain says he opposed President Bush's tax cuts because they didn't come with spending cuts. That is not what he said at the time. "In a presidential debate on Wednesday, McCain said he voted against the Bush tax cuts because he wanted to rein in spending. ...

What William said to edward [ 1 Answers ]

What did william say to edward to make him his next heir??

William hotaling [ 1 Answers ]

In New York State ,can I Legally Tell My 18 Yr Old To Move Out Of The Home . If She Does Leave Are We Still Responsible For Her In Any Way. . she Did Graduate High School . Thank You William Hotaling

View more questions Search