Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    satishv Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 12:03 PM
    H-1B tax query
    I am employed in a company in USA. I am currently on F-1 will be applying for H-1B on 04/04/2008. The company I work for has not deducted any taxes whatsoever from my pay so far. Will this be a problem when it come to my H-1B application process and approval? When asken them I was told that student of OPT need not pay any taxes. Kindly let me know if this is a serious problem.

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2008, 01:51 PM
    While you are exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes, you are NOT exempt from federal and state income taxes.

These taxes should be withheld, and failing to do so could be a problem next year when you file an income tax return and you have to come up wth a tax payment of several thousands of dollars.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

Tax return query [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I have received income from April'07 to Sep'07 on OPT and from Oct'07 to present on H-1B. I am not sure on what tax return form to use (1040-EZ or 1040 NR-EZ) and are there any additional forms required to be filed along with the same? Any responses would be greatly helpful. TIA.

Tax query, F1 to H1, no OPT [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , I was on F1 till the end of my MS(20th MAy, 2007) after which I got an Academic H1b from the next day. I did not have an OPT. So, I was partly on F1(from JAn-MAy20, 2007) and on H1 afterwards till the end of 2007 without OPT. Do you guys know how's and what's of the taxes I should file. ...

Tax Query L1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm Indian citizen, I was In US during Feb 2006 to Aug 2006 in Nebraska state on L1 visa. 1 Can you please let me know what forms do I need to submitt ? Is 1040NREZ the only form to submitt for Federal and Nebraska State Form? 2 What form/document should I submitt so that I should...

Tax Query [ 4 Answers ]

If an Indian citizen works for a Canadian company from home in India, is the person eligible for income tax? The salary is wired through the Canadian company.

View more questions Search