Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HyperMusic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Removing Red Hair Dye *
    Hi!
    I have naturally blonde hair which I dyed black for 2/3 years, I then (after quite a lot of dying) have got it to a very red colour. However, in the sun it looks really brassy, so I'm thinking that it may be better to have it back to my natural colour for the summer?

So how would I go about removing the red dye?
    I can't afford to go to the salon, but have always dyed my hair myself so I think I'd be all right.
    Also I live in the UK so can't get any colourfix/zap without paying a lot for postage from the US.

Sometimes when I use hair dye it burns my scalp a little, is this normal? As I'm concerned that bleach would really hurt.
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Feb 28, 2008, 03:25 PM
    Bleach your hair with 9% hydrogen peroxide.

Remember to first apply to midlengths (most resistant), ends (which is porous so processes quick) then scalp in the end (because the heat from the scalp processes quicker).
    When bleaching the hair, it goes through different stages. So when you have bleach on, it first strips out the red, then goes to an orangey colour. When it comes to put this point; DO NOT BE ALARMED. Leave the bleach on so it can strip out the orange, then it goes to dark blonde, then blonde, after that light blonde and finally white. So rinse off the bleach when you have reached the desired colour.

TIP - Keep a damp piece of cotton wool next to you so you can take off the bleach from different parts of the hair to see if it needs more time to process or if it's reached the desired result.

After you have rinsed off the bleach, you can either use a violet toner to neutralise unwanted yellow tones or you could re-colour the hair to the desired blonde shade.

As you said earlier you've dyed your hair a fair few times, when dyeing hair, the colour just builds on top of each other so the bleach may not lift out all the colours. So you might need to bleach your hair after again if your hair is up to it that is, as bleaching the hair can be very damaging!

Another option is you can go to a college and get your hair colour stripped. At colleges they give discounted prices and are very affordable. Yes, it will be students doing your hair but then if they weren't up to the job, their tutors would not allow them to do anyone's hair.
    HyperMusic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PunkChic
    Bleach your hair with 9% hydrogen peroxide.

Remember to first apply to midlengths (most resistant), ends (which is porous so processes quick) then scalp in the end (because the heat from the scalp processes quicker).
    When bleaching the hair, it goes through different stages. So when you have bleach on, it first strips out the red, then goes to an orangey colour. When it comes to put this point; DO NOT BE ALARMED. Leave the bleach on so it can strip out the orange, then it goes to dark blonde, then blonde, after that light blonde and finally white. So rinse off the bleach when you have reached the desired colour.

TIP - Keep a damp piece of cotton wool next to you so you can take off the bleach from different parts of the hair to see if it needs more time to process or if it's reached the desired result.

After you have rinsed off the bleach, you can either use a violet toner to neutralise unwanted yellow tones or you could re-colour the hair to the desired blonde shade.

As you said earlier you've dyed your hair a fair few times, when dyeing hair, the colour just builds on top of each other so the bleach may not lift out all the colours. So you might need to bleach your hair after again if your hair is up to it that is, as bleaching the hair can be very damaging!!

Another option is you can go to a college and get your hair colour stripped. At colleges they give discounted prices and are very affordable. Yes, it will be students doing your hair but then if they weren't upto the job, their tutors would not allow them to do anyones hair.
    Thanks very much for the quick reply!

I've got a few days free next week so I'm going to have a go at the bleaching.
    Thanks again =).
    PunkChic Posts: 986, Reputation: 51

Feb 29, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperMusic
    Thanks very much for the quick reply!

I've got a few days free next week so i'm gonna have a go at the bleaching.
    Thanks again =).

You're welcome! Let me know how you get on. :D
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Feb 29, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Sweetie, going from red to blonde is a tricky process, so do not attempt to do it yourself. It requires a two-step coloring process. To achieve results, you will need to pre-lighten your with bleach to a yellow stage, and then apply a blonde toner. If going to the salon isn't an option, ask someone that's experiencing in hair coloring to do coloring process for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing red hair dye [ 36 Answers ]

A week and two days ago I was a hair model for professional stylist in NYC. She said she wanted to alter my natural medium ash brown hair to give it a more "honey" tone. The photograph she showed me was almost my exact hair color, just slightly warmer. When she was done, my hair was bright...

Red hair dye on bleached blonde hair [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this but am desperate for any advice. Right, here goes! I have long hair which was dark brown base (almost like my natural colour) with bleached blonde panels going through it. It looked fab and it was even in good condition. Then lo and behold on the 8th September just gone I...

How can I dye my hair red by taking out my black without damaging my hair? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I currently have black dyed hair, with bleached streaks, that were red and are now back to blonde. I really want to dye my hair all over bright red, but I don't want to bleach all my hair for fear of totally killing it, are there any cheats I can use to get my permanent black out without...

How do I tone down or remove a semi permanent red hair dye over bleach blonde hair? [ 3 Answers ]

I am at my wits end! I had my hair professionally frosted about two months ago. I like the blonde, with my dark hair roots, but I wanted to add some red low lights with the blonde streaking throughout. However, I did not get the results I wanted. Now I have dark roots, and a multi blonde/red...

View more questions Search