Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    steel99deer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Toilet flushing but not used
    My upstairs toilet flushes every half hour or so. Water company increased water pressure and said this may happen with older toilets and that we may need pressure reducer valve. I have one just wondering if the top screw needs to go up to reduce or down to reduce.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Sounds like a leak in the flush valve allowing water to leak past and into the tank. New flush valves are cheap and easy to replace.
    JL FANATIC Posts: 40, Reputation: 7

Feb 28, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Flush valve-fill valve that will do it.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 07:55 AM
    I agree leaking flush valve.

Easy way to check flush valve.

1. Remove tank top.
    2. Hold down float until water overflows into overflow pipe.
    3. Turn off stop valve underneath toilet.
    4. Wait 30 minutes.
    5. Check water level. If water level is below top of overflow pipe, flush valve is leaking.
    6. Replace tank top. Turn on stop valve.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Take you tank lid off, flush the toilet and allow to refill the tank. Observe the overflow tub and water line, does the water level slowly keep rising and eventually overflows into the tube? If so replace the ballcock completely. If not tell us what you observed, could take a few minutes of watching.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 1, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by steel99deer
    My upstairs toilet flushes every half hour or so. Water company increased water pressure and said this may happen with older toilets and that we may need pressure reducer valve. I have one just wondering if the top screw needs to go up to reduce or down to reduce.
    Everybody focuses on the ball cock. What's all that extra pressure doing to the rest of the system? First things first. Let's drop the water pressure down to a acceptable level and go from there. Over pressuring your water system puts a strain on everything. Your pipes, your faucet cartridges, Toilet ballcocks if the pressure's strong enough to push past the seat and it will also open the T & P valve on your water heater. Call your water company and ask them what the pressure is in the main feeding your house. 45PSI is the normal house pressure. Up to 55 acceptable but if you have any more then that I would a PRV valve at once. Then if there's any other problems we can work on those. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Toilet flushing [ 2 Answers ]

My toilets don't flush everything down, even when holding down the handle. This is happening in all 5 toilets in the house. Actually it's the house that I work in. There's 3 stories. The offices are on the 2nd story with 3 toilets. The living quarters are on the 3rd floor (2 toilets). The...

Toilet not flushing [ 9 Answers ]

I have read all the posts and tried to fix my toilet, however, it still won't flush. I have checked the little jet hole at the bottom (it's clear). I have cleared the jet holes at the rim with a coat hanger (again, clear). My water is not filling in the tank enough (about 1/2" below "water level...

Toilet not flushing [ 3 Answers ]

We have to jiggle the handle to get it to flush. Cistern is filling up OK. What can we do ourselves or do we need to get a plumber in?

Toilet not flushing toilet paper! [ 3 Answers ]

Why will our new toilet flush more solid waste but not toilet paper & less solid waste? We have just bought it & are in middle of having bathroom installed & the plumber is blaming the toilet & the fact it is quite narrow at the bottom of the pan inside. It has no trouble with getting rid of other...

View more questions Search