Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hobbsa1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 03:29 PM
    How to Rehab a Shed?
    I have a 11 ft by 28 ft shed I am looking to rehab and live in as a one room efficiency. Problem is, it needs a lot of work. I'm a woman so I really don't know much about these kind of things, and would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions. It has large cracks in the walls that need to be filled, it needs carpet, need to install a toilet (Does anyone know the exact process I have to go through to do this?? It currently has no toilet or running water hooked up or even on the premises), and reinstall electric to the small building (it had electric at one time, but hasn't for years, I'm sure it will need brand new wiring and such.) It has 5 very small windows, that will also need replaced I'm sure. Can anyone help me with this??
    Had a new roof put on it a couple years ago, but it now leaks and some of wood is now turning black... (It was more of a temporary roof then anything. I'm thinking it may need to be replaced. I have pictures of the property in its current run down condition, I'll try to post soon. So my question is, does anyone know where I can go to get these major things replaced? Like what stores and how much do you think they will run? I need a guesstimate of about how much it will cost for supplies to fix the property. Money is tight but I'm trying to stretch my dollars! All the labor will be performed by me and help. No worries about heat, it currently has a wood burning stove in it that's going to stay. Anyone that can offer any help or suggestions on how to go about this, please reply! Your help is appreaciated!
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Feb 27, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Sounds like a lot of work or even a total re-build. You'll need to insulate it if your going to be living in it. I'd hire a plumber for the toilet and water supply and an electrician to do electrical work, which all have to be run to the shed from somewhere. Putting a toilet in will not be easy, have to find a sewer line for that and the sinks. Wood burning stove is good but you'll need something else as well like a electric baseboard heater. Can't keep a fire going alll the time and don't want our water pipes to freeze. Have you thought about a building permit? You will need someone to draw you plans for that. Any codes that would not allow you to live there?

Feb 28, 2008, 10:31 AM
    It's on my parents property, so I have permission to rehab or rebuild. Where does the insulation go?? I'm totally clueless! My cousin is an electrician and is going to help with that. If I just rehab it, do I need to draw up plans or blueprints? And how to I go about finding the sewer line?? Those are my 2 major questions right now. Thanks for all the help!

Feb 28, 2008, 01:40 PM
    To be honest with you, I really don't see you pulling this off for cheap and by yourself. You'll need a lot of help, you are essentially building a small house. The shed was not built to be lived in. As for your 2 questions: You are going to be adding electrical and sewer service, this will require a permit which you will need plans for. The sewer has to be located, tapped into and run to the shed so when you flush the toilet it has somewhere to go, you'll need a plumber for this. Insulation goes in the walls and ceiling to keep the heat in.

Mar 1, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Where should I get the supplies for this? A store like Lowe's?

Mar 3, 2008, 08:00 AM
    You can proabbly get most of what you need there
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 09:47 AM
    If your cousin is an electrician -- shouldn't he know someone that is a plumber

And other people that can help you get the total cost -- before you waste money

Make sure you can get a permit to do the project and can afford to do the job

Worst case senerio -- You build something that isn't according to code -- tear down??

You spend more than you can afford -- it puts you in financial bind

You have to keep fixing -- is there a smarter way to go? GOOD LUCK!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drug rehab [ 1 Answers ]

In June I got custody of my 2 grandchildren due to their mother using and selling drugs. DCS was not called in but she voluntarially gave up custody for min of 12 months. The judge STONGLY suggested, but did not order a hair follicle drug test so there would be a benchmark established for showing...

Drug rehab [ 3 Answers ]

Alabama. My wife has been in rehab since 4/25/07. She was caught in bed by our kids (5&7) with her 22 year old drug dealer before rehab (she is 32). While in rehab she has started a relationship with another man she came to know in there. She told me in April that he tried to commit suicide while...

Pets in rehab [ 2 Answers ]

Can I bring my two pound yorkie with me in rehab?

View more questions Search