Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Mar 5, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Sorry... I wasn't clear. I didn't mean it that way. What I kind of was expecting was a huge about of posts of guys that were for or against it and they would state the reason why?

For example... I would love to stay home watch the kids.. but the budget will not allow it.
    & Me quit my job and watch the kids that is a woman's job.

I'm from a different generation and walk of life so my view may differ from lets say jaguarfan. I called him brave because trust me there are a lot of men out there who share his view yet he is the only one to post.

This question parallels another questioned I posted which was Stay home mom. I asked if the wives would abandon the career. Someone took the defensive like I'm not abandoning my career, tending to the home is my new job. The an example of answer I expected to see on that post.. was.

Yes, I would quit my job (career) in heart beat to raise the little ones. Or I wouldn't, I went to school earn my PHD and wouldn't place that on hold.

None of the answers would be right or wrong. Its just a matter of opinion.

And the bird comment... gave me a laugh it was totally sexist. Making this comment to me was either stupid or brave. I am certain there are a lot of old school men that side with him. But they don't come forward post.

This older guy at my job made this stupid statement that "NO! women could take him in a fight." Every time he came back into the office we kept naming women that we felt could beat him and he came up with the crazies responses.

I didn't mean to offend the guys and gals that responded. Everyone have valid points and I respect your input.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 11:03 AM
    I think many men would move heaven and earth to be stay at home Dads. Just from what I see in the office. It's more the younger ones. Meaning... 40 ish and on down.

Me, I wish like heck I was born in the day, where a women stayed home. And all Moms stayed home.

I wore a dress and apron made apple pie and had a hot meal waiting for my hard working hubby when he got home.

Everyone sat around the dinner table said grace and talked about their day.

I don't know why, but I much rather that time.

Now my Dad, back in the day would he have wanted to stay home... even with 5 girls... yup... it would be Mom who wanted to run out the door :).

Men do so much today. They cook, clean, work help with the kids, give the kids a bath, and women do too, but that really has changed from back in the day.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 5, 2008, 11:07 AM
    I agree its complicated because we make things complicated.

I don't think its so abnormal for a guy to say "no, id rather work outside the home"... in fact, while I changed my life and work arrangements around to care for my kid as my wife's career took off, one of the hardest things was not working outside the home. Id worked a job of some sort from the time I was 12... and it was a little maddening to not work the kind of work I was used to...

So I agree its not for all guys, and even when you do it, it isn't all fun and games. Glad I did it, glad he's in school now, too.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Well it isn't all fun and games for women either.

The only reason a guy would feel strange about being a stay-at-home dad is because he knows that society puts women in the kitchen so therefore he isn't going to like it. But that can be with some dudes, not all. Some might like the fact of staying home.
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 12:25 PM
    I see more guys who spend more time in the kitchen and laundry room then my eyes can believe. (not mine... mind you :).

One time I had to go away for a couple of days and he called me and said you need to get home, I'm running out of pots and pans.

Um Sweetie, that machine to the left, that's a dishwasher. :)

But I honestly didn't mind.

I honestly think a lot of men are comfortable with doing and saying they do things that in the past, were "womens" jobs. It floors me a little but the more I hear it the more I am getting used to it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 12:26 PM
    A man came home from work and found his three children outside, still in their pajamas, playing in the mud, with empty food boxes and wrappers strewn all around the front yard.

The door of his wife's car was open, as was the front door to the house and there was no sign of the dog. Proceeding into the house, he found an even bigger mess. A lamp had been knocked over, and the throw rug was wadded against one wall. In the front room the TV was loudly blaring a cartoon channel, and the family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing. In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, breakfast food was spilled on the counter, the fridge door was open wide, dog food was spilled on the floor, a broken glass lay under the table, and a small pile of sand was spread by the back door.

He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes, looking for his wife. He was worried she might be ill, or that something serious had happened.

He was met with a small trickle of water as it made its way out the bathroom door. As he peered inside he found wet towels, scummy soap and more toys strewn over the floor. Miles of toilet paper lay in a heap and toothpaste had been smeared over the mirror and walls.

As he rushed to the bedroom, he found his wife still curled up in the bed in her pajamas, reading a novel. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What happened here today?"

She again smiled and answered, "You know every day when you come home from work and you ask me what in the world I do all day?"

"Yes," was his incredulous reply.

She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it."
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 12:30 PM
    You copycat, Wondergirl!
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    You copycat, Wondergirl!!

LMAO - I just had a change in medicine yesterday and thought it was playing tricks on me.
    I I saw tat before.

LOL.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 5, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Ooops, I didn't reread the thread. Did Syn post it already?? Sorry, Syn.

No wonder it sounded so familiar. I thought it was familiar because it is so true!
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 12:38 PM
    I have to give a shout out to my Dad.

I read my post and I remember my Mom telling me that he scrubbed floors, changed diapers, and did all that she asked of him. I'm 44 and the youngest of 5 so that was many years ago and most weeks Dad worked 6 days a week and picked up what he could on the weekend.

My Dad was an incredible man and even though my parents were divorced, to this day Mom speaks so highly of him.

Just had to share that, because that was unusual in my Dad's day.

Love you Dad.

Mar 5, 2008, 02:04 PM
    I agree has time has changed men and women had to adapt. Men that don't do dishes, and tend to the children are a dying breed.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 03:30 PM
    People have different 'wiring' as to what drives them crazy, what they excel at, and what they are afraid of. I did want to mention that I noticed certain guys in college who kept their rooms very clean and even decorated. The color schemes were lovely. Those guys were all gay.

I believe that we are all born different. There are those men, and women who would drown in their own filth if the opposite (or same) sex suddenly disappeared from the planet. My ex is one of those. Yeah, he would save piles of laundry and dishes for me to do, he did nothing at home. He expected me to work full time, take care of the yard, oil changes and the garbage too, and I did it. Some people admire me for 'trying' for 12 years. Naah, I was just plain brainwashed.

Why do so many men seem to need a hatpin stuck in their butt?

Mar 5, 2008, 06:55 PM
    I don't know about the color schemes and decorations. But being neat in clean doesn't make you gay. I hate when some women assume this. Men should be neat and clean, there apartment should be nice in clean. Most women that I know like clean things. What women wants to come see there boyfriends dirty apartment? If you come into a man's apartments and you see dirty dishes, dirty bathroom, cloths on the floor and no food in the frig, Run the man can't take care of himself. How can he take care of you and the future children?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 5, 2008, 10:20 PM
    Being neat and clean does not make a person gay. That's a fact. It probably means that they were raised that way and wanted to continue the tradition.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2008, 03:43 AM
    Sure, I would be a stay at home dad if that type of situation was presented to me. All of the work that I do is self-employment and a lot of it happens at my home. Therefore, it wouldn't be hard for me to be a stay at home dad and also take care of and educate my children while they were at home. I also love to cook and do dishes, by the way!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How old is old enough to stay home alone? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question regarding my 7 year old son (1st grader)... occasionally my husband picks him up after school and then leaves him home alone for a couple of hours so he can go back to work to finish a job. He is a business owner and sometimes it's crucial he gets back to finish something. He...

Stay at Home Moms [ 9 Answers ]

Would you abandon your career to be a stay at home mom?

Rights to stay in home [ 1 Answers ]

I live and care for my elderly mother in a home that is owned by my sister. She owns this home because my parents signed it over to her under duress. They did so, over 10 years ago because they were applying for medicare and social security. They were afraid that they would show too many assets...

Stay at home mom's [ 7 Answers ]

I am in need of the REAL value of a stay at home mom. I have checked out sites for Nannies, and house keepers, and I am getting some ideas. But, I am really needing to know, when my fiancé throws in my face that he pays all the bills, do I have any right to throw back of the cost that I am...

FiancŽ wants me to stay home [ 11 Answers ]

I have a son still at home and I am raising my grandson who is 3. I am marrying a man who has never married and has no children. He feels the children really need me to stay home. To be perfectly honest, I really want to stay home too. The problem is I don't feel right having him be our only...

View more questions Search