Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    401kDilemma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 01:00 PM
    401k Early withdrawal
    What are the tax consequences for early withdrawal of a 401k that has less than you have contributed? I have contributed 45k and is now worth 37k. I feel I better invest the money in real estate at this point and deal with the tax issue when it comes due, but not sure if I have the ability to lessen the tax liability because it is underperforming.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 26, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Since all your contributions are PRETAX there is no loss. Whatever you pull out is added to your taxable income. Plus the 10% penalty.

Doesn't your plan offer different investment options?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

Can you withdraw from a 401 to satisfy a divorce settlement without penalty?

401K early withdrawal [ 15 Answers ]

I have a 401K question about early withdrawel. Actually, let me give you a scenario: 401K balance - $28000.00 I have the understanding that 20% is immediately taken out for federal taxes with an early withdrawel, which would be in this case $5600.00, and that would make the distribution...

Early Withdrawal of 401K [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, In 2007, I withdrew money from a 401K plan and had the maximum amount of federal & state taxes withheld. I expect to pay an additional 10 percent penalty. In preparing our 2007 taxes, my wife and I had a $2100 refund. Upon entering the 401K income into TurboTax, it calculated an amount...

401K early withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am over 55 and left my job this past year to start up a new business where I am not taking any salary. My question is whether I qualify for a penalty free withdrawal from my 401K at my former employer?

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

View more questions Search