Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caseydiy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Foundation cracks
    I have recently removed all carpet from my home and I am preparing to install ceramic tile on my concrete slab. In removing my carpet I have found several hairline cracks, I have read this is normal but I am concerned with the location of these cracks. One crack is in the center of my house that extends from the front wall to the back wall. I then have a crack at all four corners of the slab, measuring from the point of the corner the crack is app. 3 to 4 foot away and extends from the side to the back wall or vis-versa front wall to the side wall. Imagine it as a triange and the corner of the slab is the top of the triangle and the crack is the bottom of the triangle. I have read that cracks are normal my house is 27 years old, but I am concerned about the location. Can anyone help and thanks in advance.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Feb 26, 2008, 11:48 AM
    A 27 year old house should not be settling anymore, I'd guess those cracks have been there for quite some time. Shouldn't be a problem for the tile, especially if they are just hairline cracks.
    caseydiy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Thanks for your response and experience. I am certain that the cracks have been there for a long time. The carpet was installed when the house was built.
    plumbcrazy2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 04:52 AM
    I've read that expansion cracks are not a worry as long as they as the floor is still flat. As if you put a level across the crack. If one side of the floor is higher than the other on either side of the crack, then you've got problems, as it indicates the slab or soil underneath is shifting.
    Lazytncajun43 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 01:27 PM
    There is a pad that should be used under the tile some if the slab cracks more or moves it will not hurt the tile. http://www.floorstransformed.com/membrane.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cracks in concrete foundation [ 2 Answers ]

I recently inherited my grandparents home. It is probably 65 years old with a concrete foundation and crawl space underneath. It was built on to about 45 years ago. The older part of the house has several cracks in the outside concrete foundation. I don't know if they are recent or have been...

Cracks in Garage [ 2 Answers ]

My apologies, the original message was not very helpful. After heavy rainfall, we noticed approximately 1/8" cracks in the floor of the garage. These radiating out from a point near the front center of the garage (away from where cars are parked) and extend to each wall. The cracks appear to be...

Concrete cracks [ 1 Answers ]

I have cracks in a side path I poured at my home. Is it possible for shrinkage cracks to look like settlement cracks? I compacted all the subgrade first, and took every precaution to ensure I did not get settlement cracks, i.e.. Adequate depth to reinforcing and not a slumpy concrete, but I still...

Cracks in brick [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and have a concern about some cracks I have seen in our bricks. We have a split foyer home so the top half of the house is siding and the bottom half is brick. I have noticed that several bricks have a small hairline crack down the middle. The crack is only in an individual...

Cracks In Walls [ 5 Answers ]

I been noticing in my drywall long cracks can someone tell me what can that be.

View more questions Search