Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ddeyorra Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Landlord promised to give lease now giving a hard time
    Hi!

I live in Queens, NY and I moved into my apt in September. My landlord promised to give us a lease that she was drafting it up. Now she is playing dumb as if she never said it. HELP!! I just don't know what to do and I feel like I am not protected because I don't have a lease. Now the landlord is talking about selling the building, (a business and 4 apts). This just happened to me last Aug, but I had a lease so it didn't matter, I couldn't be evicted. Now what do I do? With this landlord, I just moved here and cannot afford to move again. As a month to month renter you have no rights. At anytime she can request you leave on 30 day notice. NYC LAW SUCKS!! Tenants are not protected at all, unless you are on welfare!! I guess I shouldn't have went with her promise or word!! I guess it's a lesson learned.Thanks, Danielle
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2008, 12:28 PM
    What protection are you looking for? The only real protection a lease gives you is that you can't just be thrown out at a month's notice.

What I would suggest is you get a lease sample (Stpales with have them, and make any changes you want to make then give it to the landlord and ask them to sign it.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Feb 25, 2008, 12:30 PM
    You should never have moved in without the lease if it was that important to you. At this point, you can't force her to enter into a lease with you. Check up on your rights as a month to month renter in NYC.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2008, 01:38 PM
    First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

First, I didn't say you wouldn't be protected, but NYS law DOES provide some protection for tenants. That's why I ASKED what you were looking for. You may have that protection under the law. If you just wanted a longer term of security, then yes you will need to get a lease signed.

Some tenants prefer a month to month so they can have the flexibility of moving.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Giving 60-day notice to landlord- do we have to? [ 8 Answers ]

We have lived in our apartment for 4 years and planned on a March 10th move out day. I provided our landlord with a 30-day notice 2 days ago, but she said that in our rental agreement I must give a 60-day notice. I went back and read the agreement and sure enough it says that if you live there...

Got house in divorce Ex giving me hard time [ 24 Answers ]

I was married for nearly 7 years. My husband was and still is active duty Army. We were stationed in Germany having lots of marrital problems. He used the excuse that he was getting deployed to send me and our daughter back to AL to live with my parents. He told me to go to school full time...

Lease - on renewel, landlord just changed old lease [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone, We have lived in this single family home for over a year, and when our lease was up, we elected to re-sign for another year. The first year was problem free in the home, but recently we have had some issues the landlord has needed to address (And has in turned cost her money). I...

Giving up so hard to do [ 3 Answers ]

hi everyone! thank you for taking the time to read this, and thanks times a billion if you answer! I'm desperate to find a song, and it's a tricky one... the title of it is "giving up" and donny hathaway, gladys knight and the pips, and a few goldie oldies sing it! I really want the new fast...

Landlord Refusing to Give us Copy of Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I'm going to live in a house in New Brunswick, NJ with a couple of other people and we all signed the lease. Some of us paid for our security deposit and rent already, but some of the others us didn't. The landlord is refusing to give us a copy of the lease until more of us pay, although we're...

View more questions Search