Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ICU Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Married Filing Separate
    Can I file my taxes as married filing separate if I earned less than 400.00 in income and $1500.00 in interest on a Certificate of Deposit?
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 23, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ICU
    Can I file my taxes as married filing separate if I earned less than 400.00 in income and $1500.00 in interest on a Certificate of Deposit?
    Have you compared your possible returns using both methods (eg, filing separately and jointly)? I'm guessing you would be better off filing jointly with the dollar figures you posted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 09:31 AM
    You can, but why?
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 12:55 PM
    If that was your only income and you don't want to file jointly with your spouse, then you do not need to file at all because your income is less than your exemption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

Filing in separate states [ 3 Answers ]

I work and live in Delaware. My wife lived part (approximately 50%) of the time in mayland to help her sick mother. She paid income taxes in Delaware because her employer is based in Delaware, although she worked from home which included part of the time in Maryland. Can she file as a Maryland...

Married filing separate - deductions? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband owes back taxes so we are filing separately. #1 - do we both list all our dependants, deductions, etc? Also, if we refile within 3 years as joint, we will be eligible to claim my tuition and also receive the Earned Income Credit for our kids?

Filing Separate with a joint account. [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently separated and my spouse and I are wanting to file married but separate due to the pending divorce. My question is that we have received a 1099-INT form for a joint account and we are wondering if we can still file separate. Could it be that one of us has to claim the account on...

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

View more questions Search