Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bankcomp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Overdraft Charges
    Bank of America systematically post the largest amounts first (in Descendent order) in a transaction's day. So if you had 7 transactions in one day they will post the biggest amount first.
    For this reasson, I have 7 overdraft charges. If they had posted the smallest first and go in ascendent order, I would have only one overdraft charge.

I spoke with the Branch manager and he told me that he could not help me, that that was Bank of america's design of posting charges.

Is there anything I can do?

Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Yes, keep a bigger balance, get overdraft privileges or change banks.

I have checking with Citibank, with an overdraft protection line of credit. As long as I put money into the account before close of business, any draw on the overdraft account is reversed.

Overdraft fees are a lot more expensive then a couple of days interest.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Doubt it... you apparently agreed to have 7 automatic payments taken from your account on a certain day, it's up to you to make sure you have the correct amount in the account.

And they probably do larger transactions first to that people's automatic deposit paychecks will deposit before their bills come out... though I'm no banker, just a thought.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Sorry, this is their policy, they love to make money from charges. So all you can do for the future keep enough in the bank to cover all of the charges
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Despite what banks want people to believe about being there to help, in actuality of it is that they'll help as long as it is to their benefit!

They are completely aware that they will make more money if they bounce 7 checks as opposed to one large one. They can justify their policy however they want, and the only thing you can do is follow the advice to always make sure you have enough in the account to cover everything.

I'm not being mean or condesending... believe me, I've paid banks way too much for the privilege of having an account.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unauthorized Charges [ 4 Answers ]

I recently made a payment to earthlink with my bankcard and the next day they charged me an additional 154.90 without my knowledge.when I called the companythey said that once they have your card numberthey can use it for anything that is due even without your permission to keep the number on file...

Point Charges [ 1 Answers ]

Question is: Two point charges, +1 C on the left and -4 C on the right, are separated by 1 meter. At what point on the line joining the two charges is the electric field zero?

Pressing charges [ 3 Answers ]

How much does it cost to press charges against a private citizen

Banking overdraft [ 1 Answers ]

Three years ago I incured a large overdraft on my checking account through an error made by my bank. I went to the bank to open a GL account to pay the balance but never paid it off. What legal action can the bank take against me if I'm not at fault for the debt? Is there a statue of limitation?

View more questions Search