Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Isiah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 12:52 PM
    What type wood to side a house?
    I'm building a cabin in upstate NY where heavy snows are common. I have access to many different types of wood to use for siding including Hemlock, Pine, Larch, maybe Spruce. How do I determine what qualities to look for and which species has the best qualities for siding?
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Feb 22, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Congrats! In Canada, the most common is cedar. I see that is not on your list, Pine works great for panelling, and you can use the logs for cornering, edges and even for beams and supports. When cleaned up it can really look awesome, I'm not too familiar with Hemlock so maybe that is a better wood. Pine is a knotty wood that ads character to structures.
    Good luck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 02:29 PM
    If you are looking for low maintenance you need to include something like Hardiesiding. It is like Hardiebacker for tile floor and wall but comes in siding lengths. If it has to be wood then go with cedar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag side by side fridge freezer-- occasional ice up, defroster buzzes [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, all -- - Our Maytag SIDE BY SIDE ( MSD2356AEB) occasionally builds up ice on the coil in the freezer. I turn the unit off, remove the rear panels, defrost with a hair dryer, then reassemble after the half hour or so it takes to "hairdry" it. I restart, and the unit works beautifully. ...

Wood pecker is eating my house [ 4 Answers ]

So now this wood pecker has started drilling into my house. How do I get him to stop? Is there some sort of magic dust or wood pecker chaser awayer. He seems to be going for the attic. I would hate for him to get into a tangle with our pet bat who happens to sleep up there.

Insulating 'Sears' type house Floor/wall/attic [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning renovations for my house which I am told is a 1948 'Sears' type house 1.5 stories, original wood siding, now with metal siding. Thick plaster walls with no insulation. Attic has insulation up to the top of joist. Floors have no insulation. Floors are cold on feet. Duct work only...

Type of wood [ 2 Answers ]

Type of wood destroying insect is a: a. carpenter bee b. plumber bee c. heater bee

Kenmore Elite not cooling refrigerator side or side by side [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Model 53609202 side-by-side. The freezer is working fine, the air flow into the freezer is working, the fan is on. There is another fan in the bottom rear that is also on. There is nothing in the refrigerator to block the vents. There is a little frost on the rear panel...

View more questions Search