Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kashumz Posts: 137, Reputation: 4

Feb 22, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Do I have bronchitis?
    My throat is killing me, I can swallow and it feels better when Im drinking or eating something very hot or very cold. But if I'm doing nothing the pain is very intense. I have a congested cough, but I'm not having hacking fit every 2 seconds. Also, the center of my chest right below my neck hurts. It feels like I'm brething in dust. :(

Do I need to go to a doctor?
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Hi Kash,

Sounds like you should be making an appointment. I don't know if you have bronchitis or not, but I do know that any type of chest congestion is so hard to get rid of on its own.

This is a terrible flu season - so pay the doctor a little visit.

I have has bronchitis and the only way I got rid of it was by going to the doctor's. Not saying you have it, but sounds like you are sick enough where you may need some medicine and have a doctor listen to your lungs.

You don't want it to get worse on you.

Hope you feel better very soon.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Feb 22, 2008, 12:14 PM
    If it were me, I would make a doctor's appointment. No one can really diagnose stuff like that over the internet. I agree with Allheart, I've had bronchitis too and had to get some medication before it went away.

While you're waiting to see the doctor, make sure to drink plenty of water. If you're dehydrated, it will be even harder on your body. One thing that helps me with a sore throat is to make some tea with honey in it. That seems to soothe it a little.

I hope you feel better soon! I just got over a really nasty cold myself. It seems like everyone is getting sick this winter!

Feb 22, 2008, 02:19 PM
    I told my mom. Hopefully I can see the doctor Monday. :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Keep us posted. Do you have a fever dear? I'm wondering if it's not strep throat.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Feb 22, 2008, 02:28 PM
    I hope you feel better until then!

Feb 24, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Keep us posted. Do you have a fever dear? I'm wondering if it's not strep throat.
    I actually don't know because I can't check my own temperature and my parents haven't.

It could be strep because my throat is very bright red but I have lesions in the back of my throat. I don't see any grey patches either :confused:

Im going to a doctor tomorrow :)
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2008, 10:03 AM
    My initial thought was strep.

Until you can go to the doc, just relax... rest... drink plenty of fluids (hot tea's my favorite), and take it easy.

It's a good excuse to sit in bed and watch your favorite movie/tv shows all day.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 10:14 AM
    I'm not a doctor but it probably sounds more like a throat infection than bronchitis. Get yourself checked out as it could be or develop into something serious.

Feb 24, 2008, 03:24 PM
    What are some suggestions to relieve a sore throat? I've tried everything. Hot tea or chocolate only works while I'm drinking it, I tried some Tylenol cold and it didn't help at all (I can't take pills) and cough drops only give me relief while they're in my mouth.

I've also noticed I have several lesions in my throat now. They are in those tubes in my throat that connect to my ears and nose. 3 in the left side, and at least 1 in the right. I guess that's why it hurts so much to breathe through my nose.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2008, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kashumz
    What are some suggestions to relieve a sore throat? I've tried everything. Hot tea or chocolate only works while im drinking it, I tried some Tylenol cold and it didnt help at all (I can't take pills) and cough drops only give me relief while they're in my mouth.

Unitl our J_9 comes in, as I am only a wife :) That's it. But can you gargle with some salt water? Warm salt water.

In the meantime, the cough drops are okay to take and you are going to the docs tomorrow aren't you?

Why can't you take pills? Just wondering ( just in case the doc gives you an antibiotic tomorrrow).

But hang on for J_9 and the rest okay and try the gargle with warm salt water :)

I hope you feel better soon :)

Feb 25, 2008, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    Unitl our J_9 comes in, as I am only a wife :) That's it. But can you gargle with some salt water? Warm salt water.

In the meantime, the cough drops are okay to take and you are going to the docs tomorrow aren't you?

Why can't you take pills? Just wondering ( just in case the doc gives you an antibiotic tomorrrow).

But hang on for J_9 and the rest okay and try the gargle with warm salt water :)

I hope you feel better soon :)
    Well, I COULD take them but I have such a hard time swallowing them. I can't get myself to swallow it because I keep thinking I'm going to choke on it. I've tried swallowing tic tacs for practice and that didn't work, either. I can't even swallow tiny pills. :(

And yes, I'm going to the doctor today at 3:20 :)

EDIT: I just got back from the doctor. They tested me for strep and it was negative, but they still have to re-test the backup culture so I'll know if I REALLY have strep or not in 24 hours. I'm going to school tomorrow and I have to drink lots of fluids. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chronic bronchitis and emphysema [ 2 Answers ]

My dad worked down the pit for 20 years and caught this disease,he has made a claim with the coal board and they have offered him £1.200 settlement,should he appeal or take the money.

View more questions Search