Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lexy86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Hi-lift light brown dye worked great on roots but rest of hair is red!
    Hi everyone.
    I have a hair dye problem that I was hoping someone with knowledge and schooling, or even someone who has had a similar problem could help me out.
    I am half asian with long dark brown, finer not really asian feeling hair and I decided that I wanted to go a lighter colour. My desired colour is that light natural tone brown that's almost blonde.
    I bought feria hi-lift b61 and dyed it last night. The problem is that I had dyed my hair about 3 months ago with feria 36, which is a dark chocolate cherry red and my roots had grown out about 3"(in my natural dark brown) when I dyed my hair last night it worked great on my roots, and they look exactly like on the box, but the rest of my hair turned a light reddish brown. I guess it isn't thaaaaat noticeable of a difference, but I would still like to try to make the rest of my hair closer to the root part.
    I know people will just tell me to go to a salon.. but does anyone know of any at home dye that will fix my problem?

Thanks,

Lexy
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Feb 29, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Dark hair contains a lot of red pigments in it. So if you use a single process hair color or high-lift color on your hair, it will most likely result in a brassy red/orange shade. If you want to go from dark brown to almost blonde, you will need bleach your hair to remove the underlying pigments, then apply the desired color. To neutralize the red tones in your hair, you can use a green-based ash hair coloring product.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to dye dark brown hair red. [ 4 Answers ]

:( I have dark brown hair and I really want to dye it red. So I went out and bought a Auburn red hair dye and dyed it. Now my hair is medium length, but the hair dye I bought had a girl with short hair on the box.. I didn't think it matters. Well I love the color, but it didn't really get my...

Trying to dye red hair dark brown [ 10 Answers ]

I've been dying my hair red for years and have recently decided to let it go natural (dark brown). So I dyed my brassy red hair a pretty dark brown from a box and really liked the results, only to find that - surprise, surprise - with every wash it gets much lighter and much reder (even though it...

Permanent hair dye black- dye it back to light brown? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I have naturally light/medium brown hair. I wanted to try going blonde, so I went and got some permanent blonde hair dye. I dyed it once and it was an awful reddish blonde color, and I could tell the light color wasn't helping compliment my face at all. So I returned the rest of the blonde...

BROWN hair dye came out RED! [ 9 Answers ]

I have just dyed my hair yesterday using clairol natural instincts hair dye (last through28 shamppos). I wanted to go from a light brown hair to a little darker because my roots were coming in dark, but instead, my hair came out a dark red! I really hate it but I'm not sure of what to do. I don't...

How to lift black hair dye to go chocolate brown [ 2 Answers ]

My hair has been dyed black for awhile now. Then it got bleached out blonde. Half my hair broke off. Since then I have been conditioning it like crazy and I have gotten it back to almost normal. Its not mushy. Its shiny. I had dyed it back black a few months ago. Now my roots are coming in medium...

View more questions Search