Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joepiccaso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Water mysteriously appears in my Dishwasher
    I recently had my dishwasher (Bosch) repaired, Bad Timer. It wasn't fully draining, or draining at all. He replaced the timer. The repair guy saw that my drain hose was not looped up, and fixed it. It had been that was for 8+ years with no problems. Dishwasher works fine, completely drains, etc.

Problem is on three separate occasions, after it has run water was found in the tub, even overflowed to the floor once, and with the door open on two of those occasions. The first time, we found it in the morning. It had run before we went to bed and the door was left open to let the dishes finish drying. The water looks basically, clear, but not crystal clear like fresh water. There's no food particles or odor in the water.

The adjoining sinks were empty. The dishwasher connects into the disposal in a double sink configuration. Actually, one large sink and a smaller disposer basin. The sink drains OK, maybe a little slow at times.

There is a bath on the floor above, actually two side by side. It's on an outside wall. The house is 35+ yo. This is the first time this has ever happened.

Could that come from the drains upstairs? If so, what do you do to fix it?

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give as much info as possible.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 09:23 AM
    It is unlikely that this water has come from the drain line. Tying up the drain line is to prevent this very thing. My first thought was that the new timer might be faulty but you said that it happened with the door open. While this does not completely eliminate the timer it is not a likely candidate. I think you probably have a faulty fill valve. Something you can replace if you are a DIY type and not prohibitively expensive.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 10:22 AM
    A bad fill valve sounds highly probable, since the water essentially gets drained from the dishwasher and it is somewhat clear.

You can turn off the water to the dishwasher at the shutoff valve if the problem is recurrent, to see if water appears with that valve shut off.

Another possibility, however remote, is that wiring was disturbed and not placed on the timer properly and the fill valve wiring accidentally touches something that causes the fill valve to activate. Very low probability.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Desktop icons mysteriously changing design [ 5 Answers ]

Some, but not all, of my desktop icons change designs all by themselves. This seems to happen to the more recently added shortcuts (to the desktop) and almost always after my grandchildren have used the computer to visit their game sites. These shortcut icons still open to the correct sites, so...

Friend mysteriously stopped speaking to me [ 7 Answers ]

A little over a year ago, I made friends with someone associated with my company. After the person was no longer a client of my company, we started spending a lot of time together. After a first casual visit to her home, I met her extended family on both her side and her husband's side. We spent...

Dishwasher appears to have something in the impeller chamber [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore model 665 dishwasher. When running it sounds (a grinding noise) as though there is something in the impeller . Can I get to the impeller from inside the dishwasher by removing the lower sprayer arm and subsequently the strainer etc. and get to the impeller) If so,, there...

Harbor Breeze Lakeside II Ceiling Fan mysteriously turns on [ 2 Answers ]

Our ceiling fan and lights come on at various times by themselves. Sometimes when we're not even home. This is remote controlled. We want to try to reprogram the remote control and the fan, but cannot find the location of the dip switches in the fan. Can there be another reason for this...

Some of my files are mysteriously missing from desktop [ 16 Answers ]

When I turned on my computer this morning some of my files such as music files, a couple of video files, several picture files, a couple progras and two books on adobe were gone. I did a search and found nothing and they are not in the recycle bin. What's even stranger is that I don't seem to...

View more questions Search