Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maktub Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 03:53 AM
    Polymers, Agar Agar, gelatine,
    Hello everybody,

I am currently trieng to find a substance/material like Agar Agar or gelatine that thickens fluids. Temperature (room temperature) can not be changed. Looking for something that absorbes/thickens fluids.

Also I am looking for methane bacteria that "eat" methane.

Any experts that can help me?

I appreciate every idea or hint where I could look.

THANK YOU!
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 04:09 AM
    Methylocystis parvus oxidises methane as an energy source.
    Is there any reason why it has to be bacterium or are you just looking for an organism that metabolises methane. If so I would suggest Pichia Pastoris, it's a yeast. [EDIT2 pichia metabolises methanol]
    If you actually want to get hold of the bacterium/organism look for strains that are used for recombinant protein expression as they will be easy to grow and obtain.

Polyethylenglycol (PEG) thickens fluids but doesn't absorb. It doesn't set like agar when either. What do you want it for? That will help people identify suitable compounds. EDIT forgot to say this thickens at room temperature. Wonderful stuff non toxic you get it in lots of different cosmetics. Look at you toothpaste.

Curious questions!

Feb 21, 2008, 04:33 AM
    Thank you very much templelane!

Does not need to be bacteria, but I need something that "eats" absorbes methane, I just thought of bacteria.

@Pichia Pastoris: Can PP be kept in a plastic bag (10x10 inch) where gas (mainly methane) streams in, in order to absorbe methane? As PP is a yeast I presume it is not dangerous/toxic? In order to "stay alive" PP only needs methane?

@Polyethylenglycol (PEG): I would need a material that absorbes (in the plastc bag 10x10 inches, where methane streams in) viscous material and fluids.

I am looking for something that absorbes/thickens gas and/or fluids so that fluids and gas can be separated. Fluids and gas clock filters and by avoiding one of those substances I try to find a solution.

Thanks in advance!
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 05:18 AM
    No Pichia wouldn't survive in those conditions as it need a lot of aeration and media such as BMMY. It's not particularly toxic but is prone to bacteria infections so must be kept in sterile conditions. You are more of a hazard to it than the other way round.

Although bacteria are more hardy (generally) you aren't going to find an organism that only exists on methane. In the lab we actually use ethanol (same as methane but less toxic to us) and other alcohol solutions to sterilise areas because of this. You can find organisms like the bacterium I mentioned that will use methane as their only source of carbon but they still need other nutrients. [EDIT please ignore ramblings of an idiot] Perhaps an enzyme would be better suited to the task?

Also I am confused do you want the methane sequestered or metabolised? When you said eat I though metabolised but in your second post you say absorb which makes me think you just want it removed?

Hmm for that application I don't think PEG is suitable either. I'll have to have a think for that one... You want the fluid and gas separated?

Feb 21, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Right I want it separated. The methane should be absorbed or somehow removed.

How do you think could enzymes work in this matter?

Thank you!
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Sorry! I just realised you typed methane not methanol! That means all my answers are completely wrong! Both the organisms I mentioned metabolise methanol and the enzyme I was thinking of does likewise. Right I'm going away with my tail between my legs.

I can't believe I even typed it thinking I was typing methanol. I don't know what's wrong with me today!
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 08:45 AM
    There is a phyla of methanotrophic bacteria but I don't think they are commercially available.
    http://mmbr.asm.org/cgi/reprint/60/2/439.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search