Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    summerfunguy Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Feb 19, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Unable to light pilot on "previously" winterized State Select gas water heater?
    I'm a home inspector and today inspected a 4 year old home in which the bank had the home winterized.. We turned the gas on and were able to operate the kitchen range, and the gas furnace took about 15 minutes to lite with the electronic ignition continuing to try lite the furnace an eventually did...

I was unable to get the gas water heater to light, the gas to it is on, the pilot knob held down in the pilot position and using a match stick we were unable to get it to lite,, seems there's no gas coming out of the gas pilot... Is there something that could be causing a air bubble in the gas line or gas valve to the water heater.. The gas was off for 4 moths to the home and the plumbing system fully drained... All else in the house is now working, and we've the furnace running... The home and water heater are 5 years old..

I'm hoping there is an easy solution, something I'm somehow missing...

Thanks, Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 06:32 PM
    It takes a long time for low gas pressure to push out the air in the line through the pilot orifice.

Feb 19, 2008, 06:45 PM
    Thanks Harold, That's what I was thinking, though I'd held it down for 5 minutes,, and this after turning it to off position and then back to pilot position and holding it down..

Should I need to hold it down for longer than 5 minutes, and is there anyway to prime or not have to hold the knob in while trying to get the air out of the line. I tried holding the match stick to the pilot gas line during the 5 minutes and this did'nt seem to help.

The fact the furnace took so long make some wonder I'll need to hold the button for same 15 minutes as took furnace to light... Also since the home was about 40 degrees maybe this was adding to the delay in clearing the line of air... though we tried lighting it at the end of home inspection and it still would'nt lite and of course then my gas match stick was out of gas..

So what do you think, is this somewhat common that it's taking so long.

I'm doing a lot more home inspections of bank owned foreclosed homes, and if this is something I should expect in lighting the water heaters would be helpful to know this is the norm or an anomaly.

Thanks, Mark
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 07:38 PM
    It all depends on the piping, not surprised that it took 5 minutes. You probably quit 30 seconds too soon. You could do things like uncapping the drip leg but I'm sure that you don't want to do that. You would then have to test for leaks after you put it back. Take along a small C clamp, about 5 or 6". Use it to clamp the button down while you do other things. You are not going to let out enough gas to matter unless you leave and forget to light it.

Feb 19, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Thanks H.. And I really like your C-clamp suggestion.

Your assistance was right one, and your help and the Ask Me forum site are both terrific!

I'll be glad to provide assistance to others and will plan to visit as often as I've the time.

- Mark
    Residential Home Inspector
    Rockville, MD

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

Lighting the pilot light of a State gas hot water heater? [ 6 Answers ]

I cannot get the pilot light to stay lit on a 50 gal "State" gas hot water heater, Model PRX50NBRT. I have followed the instructions on the front of the tank. I just had a black out and the light goes out without power. This has happened before, and has been tricky in the past. I forgot...

"State Select" electric water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "State Select" electric water heater that shuts off just about everyday now and it didn't start doing it until the weather started to cool off. Not sure if the weather and the heater shutting of are related. It's just a matter of pushing the red reset button to get it going again. Is this...

View more questions Search