Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deborahnunn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Sick Puppy
    My 4 month old shizu-poo puppy is lethargic and his stool is loose. He wags his tail when I pet him but has not gotten out of his bed all day. Should I wait and see? Or what should I look for? He will drink water but does not act interested in food. His belly is not distended he just has no energy. He is caught up on his shots. He was outside on Saturday and drug a dead mouse to me. Could this have made him sick?
    How long should I wait before taking him to the vet?? :( :(
    chelseata Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2008, 05:31 PM
    New puppies are tricky. He's more than likely getting used to diet changes he may have had to adjusted to since you got him. He's probably dehydrated. Give him plenty of water and you can even give him some pedialyte. Give him canned food for puppies but just a little bit. He needs to go at his own pace. The pedialyte should help him. After 4 days, I'd take him in.

Hope he gets better!
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Feb 18, 2008, 06:12 PM
    If his symptoms deteriorate or you haven't seen any improvement by tomorrow - I personally would call the vet. Let them know about the mouse. Is there any rat poisoning outside that you know of? I wouldn't suggest changing to canned food if he already has loose stools. The day without food shouldn't be a big concern, as long as he continues to drink water and urinate. Maybe try adding a little water to his kibble to soften in the morning. Let us know how he's doing.
    PokerMoney Posts: 20, Reputation: 6

Feb 18, 2008, 09:47 PM
    You need to get your puppy to the vet NOW! He could have a disease called parvo. He has all the symptoms. This disease kills puppies within 72 hours. My st bernard had it. It will cost a little bit of money to get iv's and meds. But I got this stuff called Parvo Guard off the internet that had my dog up the next day! You need to seriously get him to the vet. Parvo makes them dehydrated and eats away the lining of their intestines. I hope you get this in time to save your puppy. After you read this I would seriously order the parvo guard. Call your vet too and tell them you think he has parvo. Not many puppies come out of this so you need to act FAST!
    PokerMoney Posts: 20, Reputation: 6

Feb 18, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Oh and another thing to look for, is runny stool, loss of appetite, and laziness. I really hope you take my advice because this is a grooling death for puppies. And only puppies can get it because their immune system is not strong. Older dogs have a better immune system so they can fight the disease off. Please contact your vet ASAP!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Very sick puppy very sick [ 12 Answers ]

I know I have been reading on this site and others and before I go any further I know my pup needs a doctor. I can not afford one at all right now and they won't make a payment plan with me because I have horrible credit. I have an 8 months old black lab that I was given for free or they were...

Is my puppy sick? [ 7 Answers ]

My 6 week old female doberman is spotting and acts like she needs to urinate.She squats and then moves and repeats this behavior without actually passing any urine.She can urinate but this is a separate behavior. Thank-you for your concern.

Sick puppy [ 6 Answers ]

My puppy has a warm nose and is not eating her afternoon meal and has runny poop what can be the cause?

I think our puppy is sick [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I hope some can help. Yesterday, we noticed our 10 week old (we got him approx a week ago) puppy's eyes were watery (clear, no milky or coloring) and a bite of sneezing. So we immediately took him to the vet for a checkup. Vet says everything seems fine... healthy breathing,...

Sick puppy [ 2 Answers ]

:( My Little 4 Month Old Puppy Has Been Vomiting For The Past :( Hour Off And On And She Has Slobber Running Out Of Her Mouth Like Water, I Tried To Give Her Water And That Just Came Back Up, I Don't Recall My Pup Getting Into Anything Unless Some Peanuts The Dropped On The Floor, Could This Have...

View more questions Search