Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nfawzy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Claim my parents as dependent
    Can I claim my parents as a dependent in my tax retrun for this year (2007). They are alien residents, they have SS#, and they lived with me half of the year. They had no income.
    Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 12:00 AM
    Yes, you can claim your parents as dependent even when they did not live with you. They should not have more than $3,400 in income and you must provide more than half of their support.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Agreed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claim my parents as dependent for tax return [ 7 Answers ]

I am a green card holder. My parents from China stayed with us for more than six month in 2006. Can I claim them as dependents for the tax file of year 2006? If yes, what should I do? Thank you very much, Helen

Can a H1 claim a F1 as dependent? [ 4 Answers ]

This is the first time I am filing taxes under H1 status. I have been working on OPT until Oct 2007 and since then working on H1. I am single and My brother stays with me under F1 visa (since 2005) and I would like to know if I can claim my brother as my dependent. He does not have any income...

Claim GC holder parents as dependent [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I want to claim my green card holder parents as a dependent but they came in August 07to USA and so they are failing substaitial presence test. I am on H1B visa. I think they will be dual status alien. I was wondering is there anyway I can claim them as dependent.

Dependent Claim [ 7 Answers ]

I claimed my mother as dependent in 2006 after checking if all requirements are met. But she is afraid of losing part or all of her social security benefits. I am considering filing an amendment to disclaim her as dependent. But I am afraid when it is time for social security to review her...

Imp: parents as dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B in US, working in GM. I have sent some amount of money to my parents In India for 2006. My lawyer suggested me I can fill up form W-7, putting my parents as dependent and get some refund back. I am not sure if it can be done. My parents have an Indian passport (no visa) and...

View more questions Search