Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Jan 22, 2006, 03:16 PM
    New Basement Bathroom - Drain and Vent
    Hello,

We would like to install a new bathroom (well, half bath = sink + toilet) in our basement. Currently, there is a toilet down there, sitting on a cast iron wye off the main sewer line for the house. We want to move the toilet by approx. 8 feet. The final position would be directly above the main sewer line as well.

What are our best options for roughing in the drains? Should we break up the concrete and hire a plumber to cut into the existing house sewer line (not a task I'd want to do myself)? Should we cut a trench in the floor and connect up to the drain where the existing toilet is?

Also, the existing toilet is not vented, and the main stack for the house is on the other side of the basement. I could probably find a way to run 2" ABS over to the main stack if I had to, but is a vent necessary?

Further information - concrete slab floor, and I'm tall so I don't want to put the toilet on a plinth or I'd hit my head.

Thanks for your advice,

-David
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 22, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Hi David.

For openers you're not going to be able to place the toilet directly over the sewer main and expect to connect it. You'll have to pick it up with a wye ot combination wye and 1/8th bend.
    "What are our best options for roughing in the drains? Should we break up the concrete and hire a plumber to cut into the existing house sewer line (not a task I'd want to do myself)? Should we cut a trench in the floor and connect up to the drain where the existing toilet is?"
    Not knowing how the existing toilet was taken off the main and the way the drainage's configured prevents me from answering. You need a plumber to lay the job out and then you can do the scutt work, breaking cement, diging trenches,etc.
    "Also, the existing toilet is not vented, and the main stack for the house is on the other side of the basement. I could probably find a way to run 2" ABS over to the main stack if I had to, but is a vent necessary?"

EVERY fixture that has a trap MUST be vented. The bad news is that you can't vent to the soil stack, the good news is that you may be able to do away from running a vent at all. Pick up the lavatory with a tee and install a AAV,(Air Admittance Valve) (see image) on top of the tee.
    You will also connect the lavatory drain to the toilet drain so the toilet will be wet vented.

"Further information - concrete slab floor, and I'm tall so I don't want to put the toilet on a plinth or I'd hit my head"

There is no reason for you to have to platform the toilet. Goods luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom Vent Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Is It Ok To Drain My Central Ac Unit Into My 4" Bath Vent Pipe And Should There Be Water In That Pipe. The Ac Guys Did That Because The Other Ac Pipe Was Cloged.

Basement shower drain vent? [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a basement shower which was stubbed when the floor was poured. A P trap is in the floor about 3' from the main horizontal sanitary line which goes out to the septic. I can see no vent lines and wonder if I need to vent the shower. If I do need to vent it, the vent needs to...

Basement Bathroom Vent [ 6 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement. It has roughed-in plumbing under the slab for a bathtub, sink and toilet tied to pit for a sewage ejector pump to pump up to the municipal sewer. There is a 2" capped PVC pipe protruding from the first floor bathroom, which is directly above this bathroom. I am...

Bathroom Vent [ 5 Answers ]

We just remodeled a 1st floor bathroom. There is 1 sink, a shower and a toilet. They all drain into a 4" main with the shower at the far end then the sink then the shower. Before remodeling there were 2, 2" vents tapped off the horizontal main, 1 between the toilet and the sink drain entry and one...

Basement bathroom vent [ 5 Answers ]

I want to put a shower, sink and toilet in a basement I am developing. When they built the house they did not rough in any plumbing nor did they run a vent to the basement. After I break up the concrete to install the drains I still have the venting problems. Can I run a vent line horizontally out...

View more questions Search