Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BeaconBob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 09:43 PM
    Arc Fault circuit
    I have a 3-wire home run to the panel which supplies 2 circuits. One of the circuits supplies a bedroom and I want to comply with the arc-fault breaker protection rule. Square D indicates the common neutral will cause the arc-fault to trip. Is there a solution to this?

Bob
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 05:36 AM
    The only solutions are if a 2 pole AFCI breaker is available, or pull a 2 wire cable for the AFCI circuit.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Two-pole AFCIs are available, but not in great quantity or selection yet. This is one of my pet peeves about AFCIs being FORCED down our throats by the manufacturers who lobbied the NEC.

Are you looking to go AFCI merely by choice, or is an inspector requiring them?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arc fault Breakers [ 2 Answers ]

Do Arc Fault Breakers need to have a dedicated neutral in oder to work?

Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter tripping [ 1 Answers ]

My home has AFCI circuits. I just added a light and switch and wired it into an existing circuit. When the light is on everything is fine, but when I flip the switch to off the circuit trips. Any idea why this is happening. Jared

Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters [ 4 Answers ]

I realize I have to run Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters for all three of my bedrooms. I was planning on using fluorescent lights in the closets of those bedrooms. True or False, Can I run fluorescent lights on an Arc Fault Interrupter circuit?

Arc fault circuit breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I am in a high rise condo building. My bedrooms(2) arc fault circuit breaker (1) seems to be in off position (the 15amp switch) after the power in my 2 bedrooms went out quietly during the day. However, I cannot move the 15 amp switch back to the 'on' position. What is the likely problem?

ARC fault breakers ? [ 4 Answers ]

I see where the 2005 NEC requires ARC fault breakers on all bedroom circuits,lighting and wall recepticals. It appears that this is for new construction. Would this also apply to rewiring an old house? Thanks in advance. Tom

View more questions Search