Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Feb 18, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    Boy that's depressing Simoneague and I can see how one would feel that way. The Catholic church welcomes all to the service and you don't have to be catholic, ever, you just could not particapte in communion. And not becuase we are better, because there is some schooling and teaching about holy communion and you would have to make the sacrement of holy communion. But you could always attend services and you would see that they spend 99% of their time, making sure we are in line with God's will. Keeping us on the right path. There is never an us versus them. Honest.

The services are always about reminding us how important it is to love God and stay in his will. I never feel better then anyone outside the church doors, ever.

I don't think Catholics ever are ones to speak about being better, and you have to be Catholic otherwise.....

Did you ever hear of Catholic guilt? We are so busy feeling guilty about everything that I feel even to look into another's house, would be a sin, because it is judging, and that is not our role.

As far as Muslims - I don't think true Muslims teach hate, just the opposite.
    Beautifully said!
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Feb 18, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HarajukuGirl
    I heard this at a church but sicne when are beatles singign about religion? IS this song seriously aproperiate? o.O

Imagine there's no Heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world

But I'm not the only one
    And the world will live as one

Written by John Lennon
    Song: Imagine
    John Lennon was an atheist. This song expresses at least agnosticism. So I'd say, no. It is not appropriate for church.
    teeghe Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HarajukuGirl
    I heard this at a church but sicne when are beatles singign about religion? IS this song seriously aproperiate? o.O

Imagine there's no Heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

But I'm not the only one
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world

But I'm not the only one
    And the world will live as one

Written by John Lennon
    Song: Imagine
    John Lennon (Singer):
    Some years before, during his interview with an American Magazine, he said:

"Christianity will end, it will disappear.
    I do not have to argue about
    that. I am certain.
    Jesus was ok, but his subjects were too simple, today we are more famous than Him" (1966).

Lennon, after saying that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, was shot six times.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teeghe
    Lennon, after saying that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, was shot six times.
    Please continue... I would like to know what point you are trying to prove with that information.
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Feb 19, 2008, 08:02 PM
    Lol
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Feb 20, 2008, 09:20 PM
    The song goes against what God says in the Bible. Does not belong in Church.
    HarajukuGirl Posts: 207, Reputation: 9

Feb 20, 2008, 11:27 PM
    Luckily the people didn't attack the lady who sung it, eh? XD

Well... I love the beatles I guess that's why I enjoyed it
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 11:58 PM
    All the fuss the people are making through their judgements about someone trying to make a joyful noise unto the lord... present a perfect picture of holier than thou types that make me happy to stay home. There's no praise in their hearts for a willing servant, but only criticism and stone casting. I'll bet those are the same types of people who would criticize Christ himself.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 06:29 AM
    After reading thr the pages of answers concerning this topic.. Is this song really aproperiate at church? I wanted to share another similar occurrence I experience just a week ago in a church I visited.

Another song written by John Lennon was played while it was requested we listen and pray to our Lord as we listened. The song was "Help Me to Help Myself"

I feel today much is brought into the church that shouldn't be. And in my opinion I would rather the sermons be kept to scriptures, and what I believe God had intended for us to know.

When I spoke to the Pastor about the song being played and what Lennon was said to example and believe. His response was that God brings good out of everything. I can't say that I disagree with his statement.

However scripture also tells us, Jeremiah 23:28 The prophet that hath a dream, let him tell a dream; and he that hath my word, let him speak my word faithfully. What is the chaff to the wheat? Saith the LORD.
    Jeremiah 23:31 Behold, I am against the prophets, saith the LORD, that use their tongues, and say, He saith.
    James 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.

It is those teaching, scriptures, that cause me to believe that man may think that God needs his help, when indeed God does his own work perfectly and doesn't need man to change or add to His Words by using other means of teaching.. God's Work is good from the start..

James 1: 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Much of the scriptures talk of being aware of false teaching, which is shown from the beginning of time how easy we are mislead.

So I don't feel the song should have been exampled in church.
    HarajukuGirl Posts: 207, Reputation: 9

Jun 5, 2008, 08:28 AM
    I agree... I don't really like that "Help me to help my self"

It sounds like, they are almost taking advantage of what the lord can do.
    MeMeMoo Posts: 34, Reputation: 5

Jun 6, 2008, 09:57 PM
    Hmm... I wouldn't play that at church, no.
    MeMeMoo Posts: 34, Reputation: 5

Jun 6, 2008, 10:07 PM
    Hmm... I wouldn't play that at church, no.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Jun 7, 2008, 08:48 PM
    No. Not appropriate.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2008, 09:12 AM
    The song is COMPETLEY inappropriate in a Christian Church worship service. OH! I like the song... but has NOTHING to do with Jesus! And there will be no peace on earth till the Prince of Peace rules and reigns. (and I ain't talking about Obama... hee hee sorry bad joke)
    tadita83 Posts: 130, Reputation: 16

Jun 25, 2008, 07:52 PM
    I actually like that song, but to like it I have to forget what it stands for and what its trying to say. TERRIBLE song to play in church, very inappropriate. And since we are talking about the song (although this has nothing to do with your question, sorry:)) The song says taking away those things will stop people from fighting and bring peace. In reality peace in itself is something people fight for and really if we didn't have anything in our lives worth fighting for, what would our lives be like? I don't think I'd care to know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to go to church? [ 13 Answers ]

I want to get my children baptised does this mean I need to go to church every week?

Praying in church [ 28 Answers ]

Who do you pray to in church? Mary, God, Jesus?? I am a cradle catholic and have just become extremely interested in what I have been doing all my life. I know that Jesus is the son of God. Do you pray to Jesus, who took his life for us? Do you pray to Mary for she is the one that gave birth...

This woman at church [ 9 Answers ]

I met someone at church, at first she was nice but now she is trying to rule me, for instance if she ask me to do something and I decline, she call me boring or old fashion, she is trying to convince me that I should have more kids where as she only have 1 child, she doesn't like it if I don't want...

View more questions Search