Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dspindler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2006, 03:43 PM
    1099-Misc for non business related expense
    :mad: This year I paid a contractor to build a deck for me. Long story short... he didn't I sued, I won, he lost, he left town. So, I have a $5000 judgment which is worthless but I want to get him. I would like to send him a 1099-Misc for the $3100 I paid him, wait a year, contact the IRS and get him busted for non reporting of income, self employment tax and income tax evasion. Question is, as a non business related item, I know I am not required to send him a 1099-misc, but am I forbidden from doing so?

I do have his social security number and I'd love to get back at this con artist. Appreciate in advance any advice!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2006, 08:09 PM
    Dspindler:

If you paid him $3,100 and he is not incorporated, you can file the Form 1099-MISC. However, do not follow up with the IRS. They will get around to nailing him in due time.

I am not a lawyer, but you may want to consider filing with the federal courts in order to garnish any tax refund he may have coming to cover your $5,000 judgement. Check with a lawyer on the practicality of doing this.
    dspindler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2006, 08:25 PM
    1099-misc
    The 1099-misc will just get kicked back to me as the sender. He has left the state. If I don't send the IRS a 1099 how would they ever know?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2006, 11:21 AM
    I think what Atlanta Tax expert is saying, yes make, send and file the 1099 with the IRS, and mail a copy to his last known address.

But you don't have to call them back next year, they will catch this thierself
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 22, 2006, 02:12 PM
    Dspindler:

Father Chuck has it correct. It does not matter that he did not get the 1Form 1099-MISC (though you do need to make a good faith effort to send it to him). It's the copy that goes to the IRS (and the state taxing authority) that counts.
    LeeAnnMemphis Posts: 58, Reputation: 6

Jan 24, 2006, 09:26 PM
    A similar thing happened to me. I hired a contractor to install central air & heating in a rental property, I gave him deposit of half, he showed up and started the work, I paid him the rest and he never came back. I tried to file a small claims court suit (for about $2,500) but he moved and I was never able to find a new address. I don't have a social security number. Can I file a 1099-misc? I would also love to do anything to get this crook back.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2006, 11:10 AM
    Lee Anne:

Sorry, without the SSN, the IRS has no way to track the individual, so they will not accept a Form 1099-MISC without the SSN.
    LeeAnnMemphis Posts: 58, Reputation: 6

Jan 25, 2006, 02:19 PM
    I have the last 6 digits, just not the first 3. (this information was provided by the private detective). I wonder if there is any way to get the full ssn?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2006, 08:22 PM
    Not that I know of.
    crua9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 05:54 PM
    LeeAnn your screw on that one and I highly suggest you don't pay until the job is done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-misc on h1b? [ 4 Answers ]

I am working on an H1B, and received a 1099-MISC from a direct-sales company of which I am a registered distributor. The 1099 income is reported as "non-employee compensation". When I file this in Schedule C, can I claim for the expenses that I incurred? Are there any restrictions for H1B? ...

Looking For Business Related Articles [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for business-related articles, including how-to articles, book excerpts, "how I did it" success stories, tips and hints, instructions, motivational articles and other articles that will help our audience gain knowledge and succeed in their home business or small business endeavor. ...

1099-misc [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 1099-MISC form from my employer. I was an F-1 visa holder under the OPT, work permit last year when I worked for two months. I have an amount in box 7 and zero for Income tax withheld. I gather, as a non-resident alien, I am filing 1040 NR, but I don't know where I am putting down this...

1099 Misc not sure? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a 1099 Misc. for money earned in assisting someone else in her clothing trunk shows in 2005. Not sure how to complete sch c for business name and if I can deduct mileage, meals, etc. that I paid for during these times. Also assist in clothes deliveries from these shows so have some...

1099-misc for h-1 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Can a person on H-1B working for only one employer receive 1099-MISC instead of W-2 from that employer? Thanks.

View more questions Search