Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Barry D Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Any Concrete People out there?
    My house is about 20 yrs old. The concrete in spots has like a white fuzz on it and where this fuzz is it looks like some one poured acid. The concrete is being eating away. What is happening. It is on the drive way and back patio and now I think on the slab. Can any one tell me what the heck is going on? Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 03:28 PM
    It's effervescence. It's removed by a powder and water made by Drylok or muratic acid which is dilute hydrochloric acid. Both are available at hardware stores. It's caused by the leaching of the salts of the concrete. You need to find the source of the moisture and/or find a method to seal the concrete after etching.
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2008, 08:51 AM
    I put this from PM back in the forum where it belomgs.

Thanks for your response.
    So, it is caused by moisture?? I find this on my drive way, on my patio in my garage AND now I am afraid it is on the main house slab. I am getting some moisture issues in one of my bed rooms. What would your recommend? How do I find this moisture source? Can you please let me know. Thanks again.

Barry:
    We get notified of responses via email, so your response really belongs in the forum.
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2008, 09:03 AM
    I really don't know how you might find the source, but some possibilities are:

1) Broken water pipe
    2) A spring on your property

The main house slab and bedroom you might be able to arrest by using a dehumidifier, but it might get expensive to operate.

You might have to install a sump pump.

You may have to emply a professional contractor that might be able to use Ground penetrating radar" to locate the source. See Ground-penetrating radar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To remove it, your going to have to etch. To stop it, you'll have to either remove the source of the moisture, remove the moisture or create a waterproof barrier.

For instance, Drylock paint is good for cinderblock walls of a basement.

Waterproofing a basement from the outside wall and/or installing a real french drain on the inside is another way.

I do think the fix is beyond a do it yourselfer.

The moisture is likely coming from the opposite surface and slowly leaching through the concrete because of the intense pressures. As an example, Helium leaks out of everything because it's the smallest molecule. See low long it takes a balloon to deflate. Mylar balloons slow the deflation more than a simple rubber balloon.
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Again via PM from Barry D:

Well, I live out in the desert not much moisture out here period. However, when it rains it rains hard. My water bill is pretty low so I don't think I have a leak in the pipes under the slab. Anyway, most/all of the water lines are run through the attic. Only pipes under the slab are the sewage. What I think is happening in terms of the bedroom issue is that water, when it rains, puddles in the front yard 8-10 feet out from this bd room. I think the water / moisture gets sucked up by the dry soil under and around this bedroom and is coming up in the bedroom. The whole room is tile. I have noticed moisture in some of the grout joints and seen rust under the closet door trac. As far as the back yard I have a planter box right by the area on the patio so may be it is seping under the patio slab and this white crap is coming up. And as far as the drive way the sprinkler system is always hitting this area with water. So, may be I have answered my own question. The key was moisture. So, my friend thanks for all your help I really do appreciate it. Take care

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To the people who say to do NC [ 78 Answers ]

Today after splitting up for about 1 month, not seen/spoken to my ex-gf in 2weeks, I went over to my ex-GF house gave her a enveloped letter saying how I felt and briefly spoke to her for about 20mins just about how she is doing/ how I am before saying I must leave. She was surprised to see me but...

Concrete Stain on EXISTING concrete [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Professionals! I have a large back yard patio that was laid with concrete during the building phase (1995). The concrete was colored during the pour. To date, the concrete is FADED (I live in Phoenix Arizona and the sun is BRUTAL!! ). I need to re-color the concrete deck and don't know...

Pouring Concrete Slap over Concrete piers [ 1 Answers ]

I drew a fairly detailed drawing of the slab that I wanted, with the piers (flagpole support piers, with pipes down to put poles into) shown so they could do it all in one pour. Well, I guess our general contractor cannot read the drawings because all I got were the piers with the metal in them. ...

Hang concrete plaque on concrete wall [ 6 Answers ]

I hope you can help. I am pretty clueless about these things. I have a big serious retaining wall in the backyard and want to attach an 18 x 24 inch concrete decorative plaque to it. I am afraid of damaging it. Is there a way I can attach something this heavy without drilling? Thanks, Lissa

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

View more questions Search