Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mangocherrylili Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 02:26 PM
    China Treaty and FICA Tax
    Hi there,
    It's tax season and questions are burgeoning~~
    I have been reading this board and your answer is truly helpful~~Thanks.
    I am a F1 student who is in my 6th year in 2007. I have two more questions:
    1) I have read somewhere that we qualify for $5000 treaty exemption even after our status change from F1 to H1 as long as we don't become U.S. permanent resident. I am not positive about this. Hope you can confirm.
    2) in the 6th year of F1, if we file as resident alien, are we subject to FICA tax with the treaty in effect? If I file a joint return with my wife who is a F1 nonresident alien, does it mean she also has to pay FICA tax on herincome?
    Li
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Normally, on F1 you are exempt only for 5 years so in the 6th year you file resident tax return and pay FICA taxes on the income. You don't get treaty exemption. You can file a resident tax return.

You can file as Married Filing Jointly and then your wife must pay FICA taxes on the income.
    Or you file as Married Filing Separately and your spouse files a nonresident tax return.
    mangocherrylili Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 02:24 PM
    I heard that 6th year F1 visa holders may elect to continue to be treated as nonresident. Is it true? If it is true, is the decision reversible? (I want to elect to be resident alien for 07 return and nonresident alien for 08 return)
    Another question, my wife is working in a company in RI. If her status is nonresident alien, should state disability insurance be withheld from her salary?
    Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I benefit from Tax treaty between US and China? [ 16 Answers ]

Dear Help Desk: I am a postdoc in life sciences. I came here from China in 1999 as a F1 student and now hold H1B visa. Our payroll still files W9 form for me which claims the tax-treaty Article 20(c) - $5000 is tax-free. I am just wondering whether this is correct. Thank you very much.

Resident Alien claim China-US tax treaty benefits? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of People's Republic of China and currently studying in the states as a F1 student. This is my sixth year in the states. I just recently married to an American citizen. We filed my green card application in early June, 2007. We are expecting to adjust my status to permanent...

US-China tax treaty about student [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My status is this: My wife and I are canadian permanent resident and we are citizen of people's republic of China. We are holding the Chinese passport. I was working in US using OPT in 2006. My question is: Can I deduct that $5000 based on the US-China tax treaty (that treaty is for...

Canada China Tax Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently working in Taiwan and I'm a Canadian citizen. I'm filing my taxes and I believe Taiwan to be under the current tax treaty between China and Canada as Taiwan is still a member of the Republic of China, therefore I need to know what percentage of my income is exempt under the tax...

US-China treaty and form 8843 [ 1 Answers ]

I graudated from college last yar and am currently on my OPT. Questions 1) Can I file 1040 NR-EZ instead of 1040NR 2) If I want to claim the 5000 dollar tax reduction under US-China Tax Treaty 20c, shall I also file 8843 along with it? Thanks!

View more questions Search