Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmichellec Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 12:20 PM
    I recently signed a contract for deed on a home in Missouri. We were in the home for about 4 months. Last week the ceiling in our den started to leak excessively till the point that the entire ceiling came down.

When the sheet rock feel down it exposed another ceiling underneath. This previous was in horrible condition and full of mold.

The person that we signed the Contract for Deed with didn't tell us of the mold problem or of the previous ceiling that had apparently been leaking for some time.

The guy has agreed to replace the ceiling and the roof but refuses to put that in writing and he has called and said that we need to pull down the old ceiling and installation then he will call a roofer.

My concern is that we will have the roof exposed until the roofer that he selects can come out and secondly we will have no proof once the old molded ceiling has been removed that it was even there.

I would like to know if anyone knows what my legal writes are for the state of Missouri.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lmichellec
    I recently signed a contract for deed on a home in Missouri. We were in the home for about 4 months. Last week the ceiling in our den started to leak excessively till the point that the entire ceiling came down.

When the sheet rock feel down it exposed another ceiling underneath. This previous was in horrible condition and full of mold.

The person that we signed the Contract for Deed with didn't tell us of the mold problem or of the previous ceiling that had apparently been leaking for some time.

The guy has agreed to replace the ceiling and the roof but refuses to put that in writing and he has called and said that we need to pull down the old ceiling and installation then he will call a roofer.

My concern is that we will have the roof exposed until the roofer that he selects can come out and secondly we will have no proof once the old molded ceiling has been removed that it was even there.

I would like to know if anyone knows what my legal writes are for the state of Missouri.

My preliminary investigation of Missouri law indicates that the seller must disclose any defects/faults in writing to the buyer and must sign the disclosure statement. Seller who files a false disclosure statement is liable for any and all damages and costs and in certain cases it appears you can rescind the Contract.

Also states that the housing inspector you paid to check the house before entering into the Contract is also responsible for not finding defects which he/she "should have" known existed or could have known with due diligence.

Vague language about whether the realtor knew or didn't know and would or wouldn't be responsible for hiding any defects - I think that's a long shot.

The Attorney who assisted you in the Contract should jump on this as quickly as possible - I would not make arrangements directly with the seller because any agreement you make with him could supersede your rights under the law.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2008, 01:08 PM
    First, I would tell the seller that you will not pull down the ceiling until someone covers the roof with a tarp. Second, I would make sure you do this in written correspondence.

The seller is responsible for repairing this since he is still the owner.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Removal of mold is a serious issue, you will not be able to live in the home while this is being done nomraly, they will have to put up barriers and mold has to be disposed of by professoinals, ( and it is very costly, if not the dust from the mold can be a serious health risk.

This is why of course you have a very complete home inspection done prior to buying a home. If your inspector did not find this, sometimes there is error and omission insurance the inspector will carry that may give you some relief.

You also will have to prove the owner knew of this and just did not tell you. For example if he bought the home to resale it, or if he merely had it rented and he was not aware

If he does not hire professions to remove the mold, most likely this will allow you to void your contract with him and walk away. But I would discuss this with an attorney. It can cost 10 to 20 thousand dollars to properly get rid of a lot of mold. ** not talking about minor amounts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contract Changes after Accepted and Signed Contract [ 12 Answers ]

We recently had an offer accepted on a house. Both parties signed the contract. Our lawyer signed off on the contract. Their lawyer put a contingency that they find suitable housing. This was not mentioned at the time they accepted the offer. Upon the sellers accepting our offer, we listed and...

Upon death of a seller in a real estate contract, how to get a buyer out of contract [ 23 Answers ]

In the state of Missouri, a seller in the middle of a sales contract died. The closing time is not yet lapsed and all the contingencies on the buyer side is fulfilled. There is will in place and an executor named for the estate already. The son (named executor) can not legally sign for the deceased...

Can a verbal contract trump a written contract [ 5 Answers ]

I gave a deposit to a contractor to do a bathroom remodel with a 3-day grace period written into the contract to get my deposit back. The time lapsed as I waited for my appt to meet with the contractor at his showroom to pick my bathroom supplies out. When we got to the showroom the contractor...

Contract [ 1 Answers ]

If I need additional help cleaning an office. Can I pay them contract labor and give them a 1099 at the end of the year? Do I need workmans comp and general liability or a bond?:confused:

Contract [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my spouse are separated and he has the vehicle but it is in my name we are still making payments. Is it a way to have the contract put in his name?

View more questions Search