Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Feb 13, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Court date set, do I need an attorney?
    Original creditor wrote off debt in 2/2001. Date of last activity varies on different credit reports, but the written off date should suffice. We did try to settle with the original creditor in 2004, but they had purged it from their records and couldn't verify it at that time.

A zombie collections company contacted us last Fall with a letter offering a new credit card which would absorb the old debt. We ignored it and they then sued us, listing an "account stated" which has a 6 year SOL, rather than an open account which has 3.

Our small claims system requires you respond on a form with little room to write your reasons, so I answered "No account stated between parties. Claim time barred due to applicable statute of limitations for open accounts"

I had hoped they would drop it when they saw we knew they were trying to play with wording to get the longer SOL applied, but we have a court date set.

Should we just go ourselves, or should we get an attorney? We can't really afford one, and I believe the small claims system is set up so the average person can appear without representation and follow the proceedings.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 12:21 PM
    I'd be careful, you tried to settle in 2004 even if the original creditor didn't settle with you they may have passed this information to the collection agency when they sold them your debt.

If possible get a lawyer, I don't know how these court hearings work but maybe you could have one apointed to you?
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Feb 13, 2008, 01:02 PM
    I can't imagine a settlement offer to the original creditor, who couldn't verify the account's existence at the time, could possibly translate to an account stated with the debt buyer. It's not that they refused to settle, they couldn't even find or verify the account

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Leaving a State with a Court Date Set [ 22 Answers ]

Can a person who has charges against them and a court date set allowed to leave the state without permission from the court? I believe this is a civil case.

Trial set for Monday- Was misled by ATTORNEY-Wasn't expecting it this soon! [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. This is a LONG story so I will spare you the details. Long story short, I have been dealing with a Public Defender for about a month or so. When I was in jail for a 2nd DWI, my court date was scheduled for the `14th of June. I was about to bond out and hire a...

Court Date Set [ 1 Answers ]

In addition to my thread below, I received my small claims court date for the end of June. Midland is being represented by a local attorney. I am filing my intend to defend on Monday. I want to also send a discovery for documents (ex. Contract, payments, proof of last payment). Should I do this or...

View more questions Search