Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arssa2020 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 12:48 AM
    Can I claim legal fees/sales tax
    Hello
    I am an engineer on worker visa (h1b) I changed jobs last year
    And since my previous employer already started my green card process I had to reimburse them (that was on my offer sheet, so no ill will) so I paid them back $4000, can I claim this as a deduction? By the way that employer was CA based and I moved to WA with new employer

Also I heard some people claim there sales tax? I live in WA, can I do that?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 10:16 AM
    You can deduct legal fees related to getting or keeping your job, subject to the 2% limit. Do you have any documentation that the $4K you reimbursed your former employer is a legal fee?

As for deducting sales tax - you have the option of deducting either state income tax or sales tax, but not both. Washington State does not have an income tax, so it makes sense for people there to deduct sales tax on their federal return. But in your case, since you moved in from a high tax state mid-year, you may be better off deducting the income tax you paid CA instead of sales tax - deduct whichever is greater.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal fees for custody [ 6 Answers ]

We are considering taking on legal custody of 15 yr. old who's parents don't want him. He is my sister's son and therefore we are aunt and uncle. We feel that the biological parents should be responsible for the legal fees involved with the custody process. Is it reasonable to expect this and is it...

Workers comp legal fees [ 2 Answers ]

I recently won a substantial workers award and my lawyer got his much deserved 25 % for his services, can I use his portion of my settlement on my taxes as a legal expense ?

Legal fees for a quit claim deed [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that I can file a quit claim deed myself and pay the fee that New York City is asking which is a little over $200. However an attorney says he can prepare and file everything for me for me for $650. Does this attorney fee sound reasonable and would it be worth it to have an attorney do...

College application fees and testing fees as tax deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Are the fees we are paying for our son to apply to various colleges tax deductable? Also, what about the money paid to take ACT ; SAT and AP tests? And, th emoney spent requesting these scores be sent to the universities being applied to?

Being Evicted For Legal Fees [ 3 Answers ]

I was late on my rent 12 days and the landlord sent it to their attorneys. They told me I'd have to pay legal charges. I went in the night before I got paid to get the exact amount owed, because they would only take a money order in payment. They said a specific amount, which included $75...

View more questions Search