Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bellagirl06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 02:41 PM
    How to replace a leaky shutoff valve
    How do I replace a leaky toilet shutoff valve?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Turn off water. With two adjustable wrenches, one on valve and one on the nut behind it around the pipe, turn counter clockwise with wrench on valve and clockwise with wrench on nut.
    Where is it leaking?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Well, that depends on the valve. Some are sweated in place. Some are pipe threads and some are compression fittings and some are even push on fittings. Examples here: Watts: Kwikstop™ Supply Stops - 1/4-Turn | Brass & Tubular

You have to describe the valve or take a picture.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Bellagirl... where is it leaking from? Is it leaking from near the handle... if so just need to hold the shutoff and tighten the packing nut as in the following picture. Go slow.. do not overtighten. Take care.

If my answer helped, please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on button below. Thank you.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shutoff valve for toilet [ 1 Answers ]

How to repair a leaking shutoff valve to a toilet?

Hot water shutoff valve? [ 14 Answers ]

Any reason to install, or not to install, a shut off valve in the hot water line at the water heater? Any safety concerns by shutting the hot water at the heater? I’ve seen several installations with shut offs in the hot supply, but the majority are without. Never could get a firm answer on the...

Outside water faucet shutoff valve [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved and cannot figure out how to shut off the outside water faucets. It's going to be 10 degrees tomorrow night so any help would be appreciated. THX

Water Shutoff Valve [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Quote: Originally Posted by Rowland Two Prob: 1) Indiviual water shutoffs not working in 36 year old home bathrooms/kitchen. Repair or replace? Are they repairable? 2) Dwelling/Home main shutoff in basement not...

View more questions Search