Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Feb 11, 2008, 10:23 PM
    Did you vote for Bush?
    If you voted for Bush, do you regret it now? If so why? Or why not?
    I'm curious as a Canadian, seeing what I have seen from here since 2000, I have always wondered why Americans voted for him, and if the majority regret it now.
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Feb 11, 2008, 11:28 PM
    Some people might have voted for him for another term to make him responsible for cleaning up the mess he made. Now Amricans may be looking for someone else to clean it up after him since Bush refused to. Just a wild guess.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 11:41 PM
    Filtering your world knowledge strictly through the mainstream media results in a clear bias in the reporting. Most media is controlled and reported from a pretty clear liberal world-view, so ALL Republican leaders get a pretty dim report on any topic at any time.

The world news treated Reagan like he was a maniac, and history is already (less than 20n years) revealing the depth of the success of his 8 years in making the WORLD a safer place to live.

Anyway. Bush was a elected and re-elected because he was the best man at the moment. He made the decisions he made regarding hussein and Iraq with full congressional support. This includes the most vehement aggressors today crying foul, including Obama and Clinton.

No matter, the media won't help you remember that, nor is it really the point I think your question is making. I voted for him twice, and I feel pretty bad for the rap he's getting, but you can BET he doesn't spend any time feeling sorry for himself.

So the media treats him like he invented war? So what? So the liberals who supported the actions in Iraq now speak like it was Bush acting alone and "how dare he"? So what? Good leaders do what is right regardless of the public outcry later.

Look at Abraham Lincoln. He basically set in motion the bloodiest American confrontation ever, between north and south Americans, but was abolishing slavery wrong? Of course not.

Terrorism has changed the face of the world. We all have to live in this mess, and America is currently following a policy of NO LONGER sitting back and letting Americans get killed by terrorist activities without US being involved in the conflict. So now, they're still killing us, but we're IN the fight and taking our own wins against these people.

Good for us. The rest of us here in America (and Canada) can sit back and "discuss" the foreign policy issues on forums like this one, and isn't that grand? While others are on the line fighting to END the power of these fanatics, we backseat critique it.

Sometimes, I think we should all be ashamed of ourselves.

Anyway, this time around, the next President, like it or not, will have to deal with this issue NOT because Bush did everything so wrong and solely, but because terrorism is not the "little" issue we wish it were, it's not going away, and if we're serious about eliminating/reducing it, we have to do it on THEIR turf, or they'll come here... AGAIN.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 11:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
    if the majority regret it now.
    Seems that there was some dispute about if the majority actually did vote for him?

I've had the pleasure of seeing at least a few former Bush voters pretty unhappy with the results.

I have not asked them yet how they plan to vote this round.

I've been anti-Bush from the early days... due to the association with Reagonomics... but that's just my own person grudge based on what I saw with the massive cuts to certain programs.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 04:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quinn
    and if the majority regret it now.

It is my belief, that the majority, if not all Americans, make well-informed decisions. We give it great thought, make a decision and we live and learn from the consequences and we never loose hope for a better tomorrow. We continue to remain passionate about what we believe.

***JBeaucaire: Just an outstanding post and I thank you for it *****
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 02:16 PM
    I voted for Bush twice, simply because he was the best choice in the race. Vote for Al Gore or John Kerry? Sorry, no could do. Bush has his detractors, yes; you can start with the fascist press, an adjective I prefer to 'liberal' because the American press has no understanding of the historical term, 'liberal'. The fascist press supports the fascist Democrat Party; they are joined at the hip. Other detractors of Bush point to the prescription drug plan, enhanced federal involvement in education, and his immigration debacle. These are my biggest complaints against Bush, his "compassionate conservatism". That was always a joke and, as always, the American people will and must pay the price. After the politics have died down, Bush will get a more favorable rating by historians.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2008, 02:24 PM
    I voted for GWB twice. Not embarrassed nor do I regret it. Funny how time makes memories selective. When Reagan was in people complained constantly - now look - people want a resurrected Reagan. I never did vote for RR - I voted Democrat that time and have regretted that!

No matter who is running and what promises are made - people forget there is a Congress to contend with. You want to complain about the War in Iraq? Why were the funds allocated then? Did your Congressman have the backbone to vote no?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    Filtering your world knowledge strictly through the mainstream media results in a clear bias in the reporting. Most media is controlled and reported from a pretty clear liberal world-view, so ALL Republican leaders get a pretty dim report on any topic at any time.
    Isn't Fox News one of the highest rate shows?
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    I voted for GWB twice. Not embarassed nor do I regret it. Funny how time makes memories selective. When Reagan was in people complained constantly - now look - people want a resurrected Reagan. I never did vote for RR - I voted Democrat that time and have regretted that!

No matter who is running and what promises are made - people forget there is a Congress to contend with. You want to complain about the War in Iraq? Why were the funds allocated then? Did your Congressman have the backbone to vote no?

Shy this is a great post!

Now here's the thing, I am not going to say whether I like or dislike President Bush. He is my President and I respect the position and how difficult a job it is. It's just a personal thing with me and is not the point of this post.

What I say all that time... my gosh, how could one man be responsible for ALL that is considered to be going wrong or has gone wrong.

It is of the same mindset that I defend the possibility that Obama can be President with not a great deal of experience. Why? Because he can select talented individuals to place around him and they should ALL share in the glory (cross your fingers there will be some as well as any pain). So President Bush yes, of course, shoulders the difficulties, but he is one man - there needs to be some sharing done.
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Feb 12, 2008, 03:51 PM
    I think this post is leaning towards one sidedness but I will say that I would not, did not and NEVER would vote for BUSH. What has he done for the economy? Not only him, but partly because of him we are in a defecit that has more than doubled in eight years. Say what you want about Clinton, Democrats and "Liberals", but we were in a surplus when he left office. What has he done for the middle class?? NOthing. What has he done for the environment? Turn the clock back on environmental laws 20 years.. YA I know you are thinking, just another tree hugging liberal.. well think what you want. I am absolutely sure that he cut military spending and defense spending A lot!! What has he done for our military? I can tell you what he hasn't done or what he should have done but not enough energy to write at the moment..
    Well, I could go on and on about his stupid speeches, his C average grades at Harvard, his lack of achievements in education, health care and social security but instead I will say... I would rather vote for Gore , Kerry, or even my dog before I would EVER vote for a Bush... EVER EVER EVER.. OK I think I made my point.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Voted for him, and looking at who is the most likely people that are going to be in the race, wish he could run again, since he would not be as bad as what it looks like we may get ( from either side)
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Feb 12, 2008, 10:12 PM
    WOW... Thanks for all of the answers. It does seem that I'm getting responses that are a little one sided though. I'm going to assume some people are maybe reluctant to post in fear of debate and reds. Maybe Fr_Chuck could move this question to a discussion rather than a Q&A? Anyway, I have certainly not been educated in American politics through the mainstream media alone, and in fact I have had the luxury of having close friends who are in political sciences, and other positions of vast political knowledge. I have watched too many documentaries and read too many facts to simply ignore the fact that Americans (& the rest of the world) have been lied to countless times by a government that far too often has an ulterior motive.
    It always seems to me that when this topic comes up, Bush voters seem to be the ones who are more swayed by the main stream media. It's the same in Canada, 6:00pm news, local newspapers are almost every voters main information source of their decision making.
    I have dealings with an American businessman who I consider to be very intelligent and my friend. He has voted for Bush since the first term, he has no regrets and stands by his decision full heartedly. I've asked him why he voted for Bush and he says it is because he liked his father. When I have asked him about Iraq and WMDs and other proven catastrophic misleads by the GWB government, he tends to use the " No government is perfect " saying. I believe Cheney, Rumsfeld & Bush are war criminals and am surprised that so many Americans disagree.War Crimes indictment against George W. BushTokyo War Crimes indictment against George W. Bush
    The link I have posted is a little old. The grass is not much greener in Canada, as our leaders have come to kiss American a*s, our media makes fun of Stephen Harper and still we vote for him. To anyone who said "Gore is one of the dumbest politicians out there", I would like to hear why?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2008, 10:48 PM
    Voted for him twice.

First time cause he was running against a wacko.

Second time I almost puked walking out of the booth, but I couldn't vote for kerry and I thought he should have a chance to clean up the iraq mess.

Am I sorry? Well... I'm sorry for some things. I'm sorry he ever stepped foot in iraq. I didn't like the idea when everyone, including dems, thought there were WMD's. Idiot. I'm sorry the dems couldn't prop up a candidate with half a backbone or clue. I'm sorry that the prez I voted for is an arrogant arse with no sense of limits of power, and I'm sorry that neither side seems interested in fixing the problems this country really faces, such as the deficit, looming medical care costs, and our selling our country to foreign interests day after day.

Mostly I'm sorry my wife is out of town. I'm bored and grumpy.
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 01:44 AM
    [QUOTE=Greg Quinn]It always seems to me that when this topic comes up, Bush voters seem to be the ones who are more swayed by the main stream media. Its the same in Canada, 6:00pm news, local newspapers are almost every voters main information source of their decision making.
    QUOTE]

I didn't vote for President Bush. So, it's not a matter of being swayed.

Feb 13, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Whether someone was born with a silver spoon in their mouth, isn't the issue. I don't know how someone who brought the issue of global warming to the forefront of politics and created national interest based on his findings could be the dumbest man to walk on earth. If Bush had done just ONE THING to help the environment, or even acknowledge there was global warming (up until election year) I might have had more faith.. but people who did have faith in him eight years ago realize it has been mostly shattered by lies and deceit. This administration is beyond dumb, it has blood on its hands all the while.. looking at America continuing to make us think, all that's been done is for the good of our people.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 13, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Shattered.. I don't think any politician can change or correct the issue of global warming or the weather - it's just another excuse for raising energy taxes and helping the rich get richer.
    Politics or no, I usually stay out of it. The world has overall some miserable leaders with motives of their own and so does the media. MONEY is the leader - no matter how you look at it.
    But blaming people for global warming is a bit crazy, just like blaming the dinos for their big farts to enhance their own destruction, or a meteor.
    What is happening to the world economy and the world weather, continental shifting, polar caps melting - all are different.
    Evolution has a lot to do with the latter, and the economic part is due to politicians all over who are owned by money monger companies who want to get richer. One thing they are forgetting though is that they cannot stop a mountain from falling apart, a volcano from erupting and they certainly cannot eat money when there is no more food and too many mouths to feed. That is why they and the media are dictating the real issues to divert the people and placate them with lies.
    That is one reason I am glad that I will only have a short time left on this globe, and feel sorry for those family and friends I leave behind.
    The truth is that the entire world is changing and we will have to adjust and evolve with it or suffer our own demise.
    As far as wars - there has always been blood spilt for religion or for money and as long as there are more than two humans left, it will continue, sorry to say.
    Anyone who thinks that evolution has stopped in this century just because we like it the way it is now is not thinking reasonable and this globe will go through it's growing pains no matter which politician is voted for.

The only thing we can hope for are politicians who care for their own people - which is a rare thing in itself.
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    The only thing we can hope for are politicians who care for their own people - which is a rare thing in itself.
    Name:  0093-0609-2018-0444_SM.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  24.8 KB

See above - It's worth repeating
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 04:51 PM
    I voted for the moron the first time. Now I realize that there is a new world order that is trying to enslave the entire world in their financial illusion that makes us all completely dependent upon the government bankers. We the people are the only true "wealth" of any country. The Bush's and the rest of them have been living off our productiveness all their lives and will continue to do so if we allow it. They steal our labor through inflation and through income taxes. They contribute nothing but phoney laws written on worthless paper. They cannot steal my power and they don't scare me with all this terrorist crap. They created it in the first place. I will not live in fear. I do not need the government to protect me or tell me how to live. I will write in Ron Paul next election and let the chips fall where they may. It has already been decided any way. Our government has been hijacked from the inside and if you think your opinion matters to them then you need to watch the Wizard of Oz one more time. If you think I am a radical crazy, I say fine. I am. You will see the new world order create a one world government in your life time. You will be micro chipped within 10 years. If you don't do exactly as they say, they will just turn your chip off and you will be out of the consumer loop. Good luck with that. Just remember, you were warned.

YouTube - Rockefeller Reveals 9/11 FRAUD to Aaron Russo
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    Shattered..I don't think any politician can change or correct the issue of global warming or the weather - it's just another excuse for raising energy taxes and helping the rich get richer.
    Politics or no, I usually stay out of it. The world has overall some miserable leaders with motives of their own and so does the media. MONEY is the leader - no matter how you look at it.
    But blaming people for global warming is a bit crazy, just like blaming the dinos for their big farts to enhance their own destruction, or a meteor.
    What is happening to the world economy and the world weather, continental shifting, polar caps melting - all are different.
    Evolution has a lot to do with the latter, and the economic part is due to politicians all over who are owned by money monger companies who want to get richer. One thing they are forgetting though is that they cannot stop a mountain from falling apart, a volcano from erupting and they certainly cannot eat money when there is no more food and too many mouths to feed. That is why they and the media are dictating the real issues to divert the people and placate them with lies.
    That is one reason I am glad that I will only have a short time left on this globe, and feel sorry for those family and friends I leave behind.
    The truth is that the entire world is changing and we will have to adjust and evolve with it or suffer our own demise.
    As far as wars - there has alway been blood spilt for religion or for money and as long as there are more than two humans left, it will continue, sorry to say.
    Anyone who thinks that evolution has stopped in this century just because we like it the way it is now is not thinking reasonable and this globe will go through it's growing pains no matter which politician is voted for.

Chery, Chery, Chery, you just made me tingle all over and gave me one hell of a warm and fuzzy feeling! You truly are wise and wonderful and you are ready to move on to bigger and better things my dear. Your end here is just the beginning of far bigger and better things indeed. Thank you Chery.

Feb 13, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Chery, I am always eager to hear your point of you and you are always full of good advice and compassion. With that being said, I respectfully disagree with your point about no politician has the ability to change global warming, on a few different levels. First, I think bringing awareness to any issue creates an opportunity for change, for any subject. Not one single leader can be the master of all change or destruction, but they do have a responsibility to do THEIR PART.. I would never make an assumption that Bush or anyone else alone, could prevent war or stop global warming, pollution or hunger. HOWEVER, the leaders that we elect do have to recognize their accountability in paying attention to these issues and creating world alliances to reinforce the changes or policies to create a different and better future for all. I don't think that has been a priority of this administration, which is why our allies have decreased dramatically in numbers. Third world countries have made drastic changes to using alternative types of energy. IT is possible. Although I do happen to think some of global warming may have to do with evolution, but it isn't the sole reason. We as a nation are the most wasteful country on earth, of fossil fuels and every other source of energy that we use. WE have the ability to send people to outer space, so why can't we change policies and everyday habits to help clean our air and protect our ozone layer? That doesn't seem too far fetched for any leader, or citizen for that matter.

YEs, it does come to down to electing leaders that have our best interests at heart. This is why a Constitution was created, to enforce the people's will. The rights of people in this country have been limited in several ways due to the policies and changes put in place by our current administration and with the APPROVAL of President Bush.

Moreover, war has been going on since the beginning of time and probably will always exist, this doesn't mean that the rules of engagement should be based on lies and half truths. I think every leader is somewhat of an ego maniac and many of them are corrupt and self serving. THis doesn't mean that we shouldn't still hold them up to the standard of honesty and true public service. Just because we haven't cured diseases, whether mental or physical, doesn't mean we stop fighting the fight. One person cannot achieve that goal, but in numbers, more things are possible. This is how grass movements begin.

Al Gore wasn't the best candidate but he was the one at the time that I thought had my interests at heart. I would have voted for someone else if there had been more options to choose from. This isn't a matter of being to the left or to the right, it has to do with believing in what our country stands for and that the rights of the people are being preserved and protected. This is so that there isn't a usurp of powers between the branches of government. I didn't feel that happened during the past eight years and I never trusted his interests.

It starts with each individual, caring and being interested in what is going on. Starting with mothers, who since biblical times have rallied together to fight and defend for what they believe in. They have changed many things along the way in history. Before Women's rights, or rights for minorities, or desegregation, people came together to create change. Maybe we should start putting the power back in the people's hands and stop waiting for the next ego maniac to change the world.
    By the way, I am thankful for every moment you are on this earth Chery. You have always been kind and loving and a very dear friend. I appreciate the opportunity to share my thoughts with you and everyone else listening. Peace be with you.. my friend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Right to vote [ 3 Answers ]

Can I ever get my rights back if I was convicded of a felony

Why I should vote? [ 7 Answers ]

I am going to bring my thread here to start it in a new light. The header is just a teaser,the real question is: Why SHOULD I vote? This was from a different post,I would like it to be the focus of my thread. I do vote,in ALL elections(just to clear that up)

Who would vote for? [ 12 Answers ]

OK everybody this is a volunteer question so if you don't wish to answer then don't.I have already been harassed by people who don't wish to share something like this. OK...Barack Obama who is an AA and Hillary Clinton are the likely democratic candidates to run in 08'.My question is if you had a...

For all those who didn't vote [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry for the late comment, Ive been rather busy last week. I however wasn't to busy to get out and vote. Although I don't make practice of broadcasting who I voted for, I will say I was pleased with the outcome. I wanted to come here and lecture to the non voters. My wife didn't vote, and...

Who can vote [ 2 Answers ]

Can convicted felons vote?

View more questions Search