Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aunty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Identify the effects of the following transactions on total stockholder equity
    I'm trying to help my niece in college with her accounting problem. Can anyone help? Here's what she has to figure out.
    Identify the effects of the following transactions on total stockholder equity. Each transaction is independent.
    a) A 10% stock dividend. Before the dividend, 500,000 shares of $1 par common stock were outstanding; market value was $6 at the time of the dividend.
    b) A 2-for-1 stock split. Prior to the split, 60,000 shares of $4 par common were outstanding
    c) Purchase of 1,000 shares of treasury stock (par value $0.50) at $5 per share.
    d) Sales of 600 shares of $1 par treasury stock for $5 per share. Cost of the treasury stock was $2 per share.

If anyone can help with how to solve this that would be great.

Thanks!
    ddrahota Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Feb 11, 2008, 07:06 PM
    a) no effect on total stockholder's equity
    b) no effect, nor is a journal entry even needed. You simply have double the amount of shares at half the par value
    c) The purchase of treasury stock reduces stockholder's equity by the amount paid for the treasury stock. It is subtracted from total paid-in-capital and retained earnings to arrive at total stockholder's equity. In this case, stockholder's equity would be reduced by $5000.
    d) The sale of treasury stock ALWAYS increases total assets and stockholder's equity.

Hope that helps. If you need it to be a little more in-depth, I'd be happy to assist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Equity transactions and statement preparation [ 1 Answers ]

On jan 5, '03 Drabek Corp received a charter granting the right to issue 5,000 shares of $100 par value, 8% cumulative and nonparticipating preferred stock and 50,000 shares of $5 par value common stock. It then completed these transactions. Jan 11 Issued 20,000 shares of common stock at $16...

Total owner [ 1 Answers ]

Gadsden Lawn and Mowing Service began operations on January 1, 2002. At the company’s inception, Bob Morgan contributed $100,000 of cash and equipment. During the year, Gadsden earned $200,000 of revenue, incurred $100,000 of expenses, and incurred no liabilities. Total owner’s equity at...

Find total equity for year end? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find the equity for the following using the accounting equation? :confused: An company has assets equal to $123,000 and liabilities equal to $47,000 at year end. How do I figure out what the total equity for the year end would be? This is all the information I have available to me. ...

Rate earned on total assets, stockholders' equity, common stockholders' [ 1 Answers ]

From the following data determine for the current year the a rate earned on total assets, b. rate earned on stockholders' equity, c. rate earned on common stockholders' equity, d. earnings per share on common stock, e. price-earnings ratio on common stock and f dividend yield on common stock....

View more questions Search