Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mckshoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Replacing a shower pan in ceramic tiled floor
    I need to replace the shower pan in my bathroom due to a leak in the unit below me - is this expensive? Difficult to do?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 11, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Before you go through the expense and hassle of tearing out the tile floor and shower pan how sure are you that it isn't a leak caused by the shower stream hitting a section of tile grout that's shrunk allowing water t6o seep past the upper lip of the shower pan and dripping ointo the floor? This is where we locate most of our leaks in a custom tile shower. It will be worth your while to note where the stream hits when you're showering and check the wall behind it for moisture. Lots cheaper then tearing up the tile floor.If you still wish to Know how to form a shower pan click on back and I'll walk you through the process.
    Regards. Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Can you describe your current shower pan, is it ceramic set in mortar or fiberglass? Tom's right, it's a bit early to tear it up. Pour a bucket of water onto the floor of the shower without getting it up to the wall joint, does it still leak into your neighbors unit? Bet he's going to like our experiments.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 06:35 PM
    One more way to confirm... you can purchase a CHERNE test ball at any local plumbing supply house (or a 2" wing nut plug) ...you will need a 2" CHERNE test ball and a bicycle pump.

Set 2" test ball or 2" wing nut plug into place... then fill the base of pan... start at 2" above floor...does this leak...? Then...3"... does this leak? etc... until at the shower threshold... and then that leaks.. so must be above the pan... THAT WOULD BE GOOD NEWS!!

Let us know what happens... if above shower threshold... good 'cause easy to replace concrete board and tile... if below threshold... bad... 'cause difficult to replace. TRY THIS TEST ONLY AFTER YOU HAVE TRIED THE BALLENGER AND SPEEDBALL1'S SUGGESTIONS. THIS IS ONLY LAST RESORT TO ISOLATE LEAK.

Get back to us with answers to everyone's questions... please... and with any of your questions. Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tiled Shower - cracked grout between shower wall and pan [ 4 Answers ]

I just spent 10K on labor alone to remodel my master bath. I purcahsed all Hand made tiles (Walker Zanger) and the contractor came highly recommended... After less than one month of use (and I did seal the shower walls and floor with a very good sealer), I noticed a hairline crack in the Grout...

Ceramic tile shower pan on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to do anything special like I would if it was on a wooden floor on this new shower I want to build in my basement. I am tiling the floor and 2 walls... neo-angle style.. The drain is 12 inchesfrom each of the back walls... this is my first foray into the HELP DESK... I searched awhile but...

Installing a shower drain for tiled floor [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing our tub with a tiled shower. I am moving the drain to the center. Does the new drain for the tiled floor mount flush with the existing subfloor. The drain I purchase is labelled for tiled shower and has a bevel edge on the widest part of the drain and a screw drain to accommodate...

Replacing A shower pan [ 1 Answers ]

This is my first time here. I'm working on bathroom project replacing a leaking shower floor in the master bedroom of our house built about 40 years ago. The base from stud to stude is a rather standard 32 X 48 after we broke out what seemed to be a concrete shower flower. I want to replace it with...

Leaking Tiled Shower Stall Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

We had our shower stall replaced in 1998 due to the pan beneath the tile leaking... a new liner and re-tile job was done... well, now there is a wet spot below in the same spot and after opening the ceiling, I find that the plastic fitting going into the plastic floor hub is leaking. Looks like the...

View more questions Search