Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rgeorge1276 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Tax deduction on mortgage interest for foreign home
    Hi all
    I am in USA on a work Visa (H1B). I don't own a house in america. But I do have a house in my home country for which I am paying mortgage interest. Lender is bank from my home county. Is this interest tax deductable. I can provide statement from my foreign lender stating that I paid so much in interest (statement shows foreign currency). Please help me with your valuable advices
    Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 11, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Interesting question - in this case your house in your home country would be considered your second home. I looked over Pub 936 but can't find anything that says specifically that the home must be in the US in order to deduct interest. However, either the mortgage lender must supply you a form 1098 or you must indicate the mortgage lender's name and federal tax ID number on your return - see the instructions in Pub 936 for details. In your case I doubt your lender has a Tax ID number.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p936.pdf

Feb 15, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Interesting question - in this case your house in your home country would be considered your second home. I looked over Pub 936 but can't find anything that says specifically that the home must be in the US in order to deduct interest. However, either the mortgage lender must supply you a form 1098 or you must indicate the mortgage lender's name and federal tax ID number on your return - see the instructions in Pub 936 for details. In your case I doubt your lender has a Tax ID number.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p936.pdf
    Thank you for your prompt answer ebaines. Is there any other way I can claim this deduction, if my lender cannot provide me with a form 1098? Also since I don't have a primary home in USA, still I can claim my home in my native country as a second home? Please advise. It doesn't make any sense for me to buy a home in america as I am here on a temporary work visa and will be going back in couple of years... Thank you once again for your help..

Feb 20, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Is there any other way I can claim the mortgage deduction, if my lender cannot provide me with a form 1098? Also since I don't have a primary home in USA, still I can claim my home in my native country as a second home?
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Mortgage interest on a second home is deductible on schedule A as an itemized deduction, even if the second home is located outside the U.S. The interest should be reported on Schedule A on the line that says mortgage interest not reported on Form 1098. However, if you reside in the U.S. and the lender is a foreign bank, then you are required to withhold 30% tax on the interest portion of the payments, unless a lower treaty rate applies. If you want to rely on the treaty, you need to obtain a Form W-8BEN from the foreign bank where the bank certifies that it qualifies for treaty benefits. In either case, you will need to also file Form 1042 and 1042-S reporting that you made interest payments to foreign persons.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage Interest Deduction If Not On Note [ 1 Answers ]

I have friends: A, B and C. Friend A bought a home for each friend B and C, with a non occupant mortgage on each property. The purpose was to help B and C achieve home ownership with the understanding that within 5 years, B & C would each secure a mortgage and cash out the 20% down payment that A...

Tax Deduction for Foreign Mortgage Interest [ 1 Answers ]

If I borrow money from a foreign lender for a property in the U.S. can I get income tax deduction for the mortgage interest I paid to the foreign bank? Thanks,

Assuming my moms mortgage and getting the interest deduction. [ 2 Answers ]

My mother who is 80 has a home with a terrible mortgage. I want to pay down the loan from 295K to 60K or make a 235K payment. I want to refinance the terms on the remainder (60K) and place my name with hers on the loan. Basically assume the loan and make the payments, with both parties...

Mortgage Interest Deduction on Sold Home [ 1 Answers ]

We sold our home in 2005 moved bought a new home. Can I deduct the mortgage interest on the sold up until the date we sold? Thanks

View more questions Search