Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mylrhg1957 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Mortgage foreclosure
    OK, I have been renting a home for the past two years. The homeowner has filed bankruptcy and the case was granted for the first and second mortgage. Now the 2nd mortgagor has filed foreclosure for 14K. Will the second mortgage be able to have the house sold if the foreclosure is granted? The first mortgage has the greater interest in the home for 104K.. but has not taken any action yet.

I don't understand how a 2nd mortgage can override the first mortgage? Help.. by the way, the owner of the home is a good person, just got caught up in the 'bubble of realestate". Additionally, the owner has provided me with a place to live, rent free until all this is over, which is really great-I think
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Feb 11, 2008, 08:45 AM
    A first, second, third... mortgage all have the right to foreclose on a property. At some point the subordinate lienholder may have to make the payments on the superior lien to protect their interest in the property. At times the second mortgagee may decide that the property is over encumbered, and chose not to go after the property. In those cases they will just sue the mortgagor on the basis of the note.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I report the foreclosure on a seller financed mortgage [ 10 Answers ]

I sold my primary residence to a family member in 2006 and financed the loan. Now in 2007 they decided not to pay for it and 'gave' it back to us. How do figure out my basis and capital gains for 2007. Also now we are going to rent the property until the market comes back and we can sell it. I...

Foreclosure & a second mortgage [ 3 Answers ]

If home is in foreclosure but sold in a short sale for less than what is owed on the first mortgage, is anything owed on the second mortgage?

Foreclosure [ 3 Answers ]

I just received a letter today stating my home is now in foreclosure and will will be auctioned off on jan 2 and 2007 if I don't come up with 3000.00 plus as they said at the attorneys office 1300. 00 in non negotiable legals fees for a total of 4300.00.this doesn't even include my other bills...

View more questions Search