Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    youthebest Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2008, 10:05 PM
    +5 years F-1 on OPT still FICA Exempt
    Hello tax experts,

I need your advice. I'm so confused. I've read so many forums and websites on this question. Every one seems to have a different answer.

Here's my situation. I graduated from College in May '07. I've been living in the states for more than 6 years. Currently, I'm working on my OPT visa. When I first started working in Aug '07, I paid the FICA out of my first paycheck. Then, I told my employer that I am exempt from the FICA(didn't know about 5year rule that time) and got my money back and have not been paying the FICA since then.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    1. I am a resident( for the tax purpose) ,because I've been living in the US for more than 5 years. RIGHT?

2. Do I have to file my tax as resident? If yes, What should I do with my W-2 having $0 for the FICA? Should I just keep filing as resident or should I wait for my company to change my W-2 somehow?

3. I found this website. It looks very credible website(Miller Johnson attorneys and counselors) The paragraph 7 on the website says that a resident on OPT(+5 years) does not have to pay the FICA. (Miller Johnson - Publications - International Student FICA Exemption) Is this information correct?

4. My bank keeps saying they can't issue 1099 (interest income) since my residency status is non-resident. They would only give me W-8BEN form. Isn't this for a non-resident?

5. What would happen if I just go ahead(w/ FICA=$0) and file my tax as a resident. Is this going raise a red flag automatically and am I going to get into a trouble?

6. What would happen if I tell my employer about the residency this late of the year (2/10/08)? Do you think I can get fired because of this?

I am very frustrated with my first ever tax filing.
    Please help me.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 01:50 PM
    What is your citizenship? When did you enter the U.S. on F1 visa?
    youthebest Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 12, 2008, 08:07 PM
    I have a citizenship in Korea. I entered the US on F-1 Visa in 2000.

I called the IRS today and found the solution, I think.
    The guy said I have two options.

Option #1: File as a non-resident
    Requirement: show no intention to stay in the US. Never applied for a permanent residency(green card or H-1 or anykind)
    What to do: File 1040 NR-EZ/NR + Form 8843 + Form 8840
    How: Even though I have been living in the states for more than 5 years, I am still considered as a student with F-1 visa/OPT. If I don't intent to stay in the US, I can submit Form 8840 (closer connection exception) to get approved for the exemption.

Option #2: File as resident
    Requirement: have to pay FICA taxes
    What to do: File 1040 /EZ/A
    How: 5-year rule makes me eligible to file my tax as a resident. This allows me to get some education credits , etc..

I think I'm going to file as a non-resident.
    I might not get as much money back as a resident but it looks like it's the one with the least hassle to go through.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 08:23 AM
    The tax treaty between Republic of Korea and the U.S. clearly states:
    "An individual is entitled to the benefits of this exemption for a maximum of 5 years."
    Your deduction under treaty is $2,000 ("Income from personal services benefits in the United States of up to $2,000 each tax year.").

1. So if you file as nonresident, you will get exemption of $3,400 and deduction of $2,000 plus state taxes deduction. (If you go through the instruction to form 8840, you will find that you are not eligible to file this form. It can be filed if you did not spend over 183 days in 2007 in US or it is allowed as per tax treaty.

2. If you file as resident, you get exemption of $3,400 and deduction of $5,350. (This appears to be the right choice).

4. For 2008, decide now. May be it is best to file as resident. In that case, inform your employer to deduct FICA taxes. They will also collect back taxes from Jan 1, 2008.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1, opt and fica tax [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question about the Social Secuirty and Medicare Taxes. I came to US As a F1 student in sep. 2000. I began my OPT in July, 2005. And my H1b started at Jan. 1, 2006. Since I was a F1-Student in the whole year of 2005. Neither my university, nor my current company deducted these two types of...

Need a certificate to exempt from FICA taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in OPT and working as full time now. I know I don't have to pay FICA and FICA MedC taxes, but my employer/company will not stop withholding those taxes for me UNLESS I have a written certification to prove that I don't have to pay the society security taxes." So I just want to know how I...

FICA while on OPT [ 1 Answers ]

I am working on my OPT, my F1 visa still valid and I file as a resident alien. I started work March 2007, but am still enrolled full time in the University till May 2007. Will my employer with hold FICA even though I am enrolled this semester ?

Opt and fica? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Experts, I was an international student on a F1 visa. I got my OPT and now I work for a company in the US. They will sponsor my H1B visa, but for now, I'm sill on my OPT. Do I have to pay the FICA contribution while I'm on my OPT? Will I have to pay for it when I have my H1B visa? ...

Can I Opt Not be considered An EXEMPT individual? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to decide whether I need to file resident or non-resident tax return. Here is my situation: For year 2003 and 2004, I was on F1 and filed 1040 NR with 8843 claiming exemption for the substantial presence test. For year 2005, I was on F1 from 1st Jan to 30th Sep, and H1-B...

View more questions Search