Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diane31276 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 02:54 PM
    Tenant left apartment with no notice
    I have a tenant that I have not seen, or heard from in 2 weeks, they are 2 months behind
    On their rent and a lot of there stuff is still in the apartment and in the hallway. In the state
    Of Massachusetts do I have the right to enter the apartment and get rid of her stuff, so I
    Can fix it up. Or do I have to wait longer or go through a court. Please someone help answer this question for me.
    Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Massachusetts Residential Landlord-Tenant Law Law Summary and Law Digest

Rules regarding abandonment of premises.

Abandonment is typically defined as absence of the tenant from the premises for a period when rent has not been paid. Provided the statutory definition is met, a Landlord is allowed to reposses the premises and store tenant's belongings. A Tenant may recover same before the expiration of a 'certain time period', but must reimburse landlord for the cost of storage.
    From what I understand the typical certain time is 30 days from notifying them or going through the magistrate depending on your state law.

Welcome to LANDLORD ASSOCIATION.ORG - News, Information, Advice, Management Tools for Landlords, Real Estate Investors, Property Owners and Apartment Managers.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 04:07 PM
    If at all possible go though court, about the time you do it without court protection, they sue you for a 10,000 table or some electric equipment and so on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant left apartment [ 1 Answers ]

In st state of Florida.. I have a tenant that has not paid their rent and said they were moving I have not been able to contact her. I have been leaving messages on her cell phone but she does not call back. She is not at the apartment but all her stuff is. She had said she would be movingt all...

Landlord entering apartment without notice [ 4 Answers ]

Today my boyfriend was coing out the bathroom in just his underwear, and found some mexican standing in our living room. He said he was there to finish up some drywall work from where they put a new airconditioner in 5 weeks ago. I called the apartment manager and she said that she sent us a...

I left my previous apartment messy. [ 2 Answers ]

I left my previous apartment sort of messy. I left behind a few boxes of stuff, some trash, and a lot of dishes etc. My ex, who had moved in with me had left 2 holes in the wall, and my cats had destroyed a small part of the carpet. I was not ready to move. I asked if there was anyway I could...

I left apartment and turned in apartment's keys and gave no 30 day notice. [ 3 Answers ]

Why did the landlord charged me the monthly month of rent and still some more after I left apartment 8 days after I had paid 1 months rent and told them I could not stay there anymore due to family emergency and unemployment reasons. I gave them the keys so they should not charge me for the 8 days...

Troubled apartment tenant [ 1 Answers ]

We have been renting an townhouse type apartment (contected to two adjacent apartments) for the last year and even since we have moved in, we have noticed a musty, smokey smell in the apartment. Our clothes stink and even guests we have in notice it. The carpet is that old shag carpeting and you...

View more questions Search