Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stock Punk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 02:33 PM
    Kitchen sink drain gurgles when basement sump pump runs
    When the basement sump pump runs the drains in my kitchen gurgle loudly.
    The sump pump well is in the basement and is the discharge for the CWM.
    The pump also discharges water.
    The discharge pipe connects to the main sewer line to the septic tank.
    The kitchen is on the first floor one room away from where the pump and CWM are.
    The kitchen sink is a double sink. Each drain empties with its own trap and then meets under the sink to the common drain. The common drain from the sink connects to the drain line from the sump pump then both are common to the main sewer line out.
    Under the sink where the two drains connect together is an air valve (this was put in years ago by a plumber because when both sinks were full of water the draining was very slow).

Connecting to the main sewer out is the 2nd floor bathroom. The sink, tub and toilet in this bathroom do not have any draining, flushing, or gurgling issues; the gurgling is only with the kitchen sink drains.

Years ago I had bubbling coming up from the 2nd floor toilet. We found the air stack blocked and pour a chemical down it at the recommendation of a local hardware store (now closed). That solved that issue. I could actually hear the blockage clear out making a loud draining sound.

Because I don't have gurgling or bubbling in the upstairs bathroom drains and toilet, I don't think the main stack is the problem. The sump pump and kitchen both connect to the main sewer line that the upstairs bathroom connects to so they share the same stack.

I suspect the air valve under the sink. But I am not experienced in plumbing beyond replacing sump pumps. The fixtures under the sink are PVC and looked cemented.

Any advice?

Check out some similar questions!

Is trapped drain in basement an alternative to sump pump? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I have groundwater entering my basement during storms at one single point in the floor, and at no other place currently. It is earthen in the small area where the water enters. I can pinpoint the point of entrace with a pencil tip! The water drains down a worn channel about one foot in...

Kitchen Sink Gurgles when Sump Runs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sump in my basement that collects discharge water from my washer, furnace, and water softner. The sump pumps the water straight up to the ceiling, where it ties into septic system. All the water drains to my septic tank/field outside. The kitchen sink upstairs gurlges every time the...

Why the Sump Pump runs now? [ 4 Answers ]

When I moved in here 2 years ago the sump pumps (have 2) very rarely came on - I did have backup issues (the sewer & sump pumps are on the same line) The reason was tree roots. Recently we decided to air compress the pipe lines to rid the roots. Now, all of a sudden my sump pump decides to run...

Toilet drain to Basement Sump pump [ 7 Answers ]

I want to add a bathroom in my basement. I was wondering if I could run my toilet drain into the sump pump hole. ( I have my own septic symstem and the drain leaving the house is 4ft. Above the basement floor). Also, would this need to be vented? The toilet would be about 6 to 8 ft. from the...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.