Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Regina1983 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Carrier Weathermaker SX, does not turn on automatically, shuts off
    Hello,

We have a Weathermaker SX. Yesterday morning I woke up and it was only 61 degrees. When I shut the heater off and turn it back on, it heats for about 5 minutes and then stops. The same works on the thermostat, when I turn the heat off and on again. Sometimes it comes on one more time and then shuts off for hours. We tried to bypass the thermostat by connecting W and R and it's the same. So it's not the Thermostat.

Does anyone have ideas what it could be?

Thank you!
    Regina
    hoodster1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 08:19 PM

Did anyone ever answer this question? I am having the same problem. Furnace worked fine until about a week ago.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 08:22 PM

Weathermaker SX is a non-specific style name. Actual model number would be much more helpful.

Dec 18, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Mine is a 58SXA-100, Approximately a 1991 Model. I have checked the thermostat, that is not the problem. The flame will go off after approximately 5 minutes of running. When I reset the furnace it will run for another 5 minutes then shut off. Been going on for about a week. Please Advise.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 08:53 PM

Look for a diagnostic LED on the circuit board, viewable through a clear plug or by removing a metal plug in the blower access door. Observe for a flashing pattern, then consult the service label inside front panel.

Dec 18, 2008, 09:09 PM
    No Led indicator present on circuit board, removed cover to double check... Nothing Available

Dec 18, 2008, 09:14 PM
    When the flame shuts off, I can hear the solenoid close shutting off gas to the manifold... It clicks a couple of times and the gas shuts off. Apparently my furnace has no led indicator as nothing under the blower access panel or the main panel discusses anything about LED indicators or codes.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 09:16 PM

Hmm, this isn't the model I was thinking of... I am more familiar with Bryant models (Carrier's slutty cousin);) What type of flue, metal or PVC?

Dec 18, 2008, 09:24 PM
    PVC Flu... Appears to be clear completely... converted to propane
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 09:28 PM

Intermittent spark-to-pilot ignition, or hot surface direct ignition?

Dec 18, 2008, 09:30 PM
    Spark to Pilot Ignition
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 09:35 PM

Okay, I know what you have now... Carrier's version of the Bryant 398. I would start by checking the condensate drain hoses and trap for blockage. The trap should be removed and flushed every Fall. Located on the front of the blower housing, looks like a black plastic can.

Dec 18, 2008, 09:39 PM
    It does sound like water is gurgling in the trap... although it is draining some... I will give it a try... Do you think it could be the aux (over temp) limit switch? Can I bypass it to check to see if it is malfunctioning?
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 09:43 PM

If it is malfunctioning, it is functioning, and I wouldn't recommend a bypass. It is a safety control-don't bypass safety. Start small, you may not have to go as far as big.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 09:45 PM

Gurgling, you say? Do you see water leaking/accumulating anywhere?
    dachrist26 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 10:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    Okay, I know what you have now...Carrier's version of the Bryant 398. I would start by checking the condensate drain hoses and trap for blockage. The trap should be removed and flushed every Fall. Located on the front of the blower housing, looks like a black plastic can.

How does the trap come off? It looks like a black plastic cap on mine, but it won't budge.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 10:14 PM

Put a catch pan of some type under the trap-if it's clogged a lot of water will come out. Disconnect the two hoses from the top and the coupling that SHOULD be on the front outlet, undo the metal band securing it to the blower. Flush it out with a strong stream of water.

Dec 18, 2008, 10:28 PM
    Apparently you were right on... the water trap was indeed plugged up. I cleaned it out and the furnace is working properly now... Thank You Very Much... Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 10:31 PM

Likewise, and remember to do that every Fall.
    dachrist26 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2008, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    Put a catch pan of some type under the trap-if it's clogged a lot of water will come out. Disconnect the two hoses from the top and the coupling that SHOULD be on the front outlet, undo the metal band securing it to the blower. Flush it out with a strong stream of water.
    Ok, I took it apart. There was a bit of sludge around the big hose opening, but not completely blocking it. I cleaned everything up, we will see what happens tomorrow morning!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier Weathermaker 8000 [ 4 Answers ]

I've had my carrier a/c heat unit for about 10 years.. . Good service, but it has recently been making a sqeaking/chirping/screeching sound when the fan is running in a/c mode. I reminds me of the sound a car makes when the fan belt is slipping. Any suggestions? Thanks, lankford3

Code 54 on carrier weathermaker furnace [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace stopped working today. It is a weathermaker (carrier) 8000 That is approx 14 years old. It has been serviced regularly To the best I can tell it is flashing a code 5 4 can anyone help me with this? It kicks on, blows cold air for a few minutes then shuts down. Thank you

Carrier weathermaker 8000 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier weathermaker 8000 furnace and it come on for about 20 seconds then the burners cut off, the fan keeps going and it just keeps repeating this cycle like it is short cycling... Does anyone have any ideas because it is freezing in my house...

Carrier weathermaker 8000 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a carrier weathermaker 8000 gas furance... when the thermastat calles for heat the furance turns on it willgo for 3 for 4 min... then the flame stops and the blower runs for the 128 seconds... this is all normal... but the thermastat is still calling for heat and the furance kick on again...

XP Automatically Shuts Down At The Login Screen! [ 1 Answers ]

Dear; I've Got An Error In My PC That Whenever I Enter Password At The Logon Screen. It Shuts Down Without Any Prompt Screen.Please Suggest Me A Solution. Thanks

View more questions Search