Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tricia930 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 01:59 AM
    Kicking out boyfriends daughter
    Hi everyone, sorry but I'm knew to this so please bear with me.
    I own a house in my name only, my boyfriend lives with me. Recently his 25 year old daughter moved in and it's been awful ever sense! We laid down some house hold rules and she hasn't followed any of them. One was she had to get a job, but no that would interfear with her partying, I guess. She pays for nothing and lives off us and her friends sympathy. I told her tonight she had 2 weeks to get out. Her reply was she knew her legal rites and I couldn't make her leave. We live in New York, does anyone know what I can do to get her out of my house? My boyfriend supports me 100%.

Thanks for listening
    PolluxCastor Posts: 117, Reputation: 5

Feb 9, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Has he told her to leave?

Not withstanding that: The local police could inform her what her rights are. Unless New York is different than other places, they will tell her - "You are a responsible adult, not a minor, and it appears you have worn out your welcome".
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 06:44 AM
    You own the house. It's in your name. You have the right to kick her out... she's an adult.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 10:52 AM
    There are no legal rights to people living for free in another adults home. Rights come from signed lease agreements and PAYMENT of some sort. If she has neither to show, then let her know in writing signed by you (BF would be nice, but not really relevant) when she must leave or start paying $1000 a month and then follow it. No payment, get out!

If she won't leave, consider asking your BF to go stay with a friend for a couple of weeks and change the locks. She'll get the message.

BTW, your BF lives with you (I won't comment on that... oops... did I just?) but a man who can't stand up to his own children and protect space that is YOURs, I don't know. Maybe he needs to go stay with friends for a while, anyway!
    tricia930 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 02:56 AM
    Thank you everyone for your good responses and adivce. I was sort of sure she was wrong but I read that in some states if she received mail at this address, than I had to evict her legaly. My boyfriend has talked to her and told her it would be better for her to move out as she does not want to help herself. Long story with this one and I won't bore you with it. I just wanted to thank you, it helped a lot. :)
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Hello t:

It's been my experience that if the cops are called because someone was put out or the locks have been changed, the cops are going to say to let them back in. Now the cops would be WRONG, of course, but that never stopped 'em before. They don't understand civil law, and they're busy down at the doughnut shoppe anyway.

Now this might not happen, but you want to make sure it doesn't. Therefore, you must evict.

We have a copy of your states landlord tenant law right here at the top of the page on a "sticky note".

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace kicking on and off. [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace will kick on for a few seconds and then kick right back off. 3 or 4 seconds later it will kick back on and run until it reaches the correct temp. I tried to turn it down to 60, but it seems as though that made it worse so I turned it back up to 70. My questions is will this be OK for a...

My school is kicking me out for being to old I'm 19 [ 7 Answers ]

My school withdrew me during the summer without informing me AT ALL!! They say because I'm to old? I just terned 19 "sence i didnt know i got kicked out""i went to school on the first day" just to be kicked out!! I skiped junior year and went directly to senior year last year and I'm was supposed...

Kicking out roommate [ 19 Answers ]

I am the signer of the lease I am in. I have a roommate who is destructive, inconsiderate and outright sloppy. I told her it would be best if she moved out and gave her a 30 day deadline. She is giving me problems about it and I want her out! What can I do? I am not the owner of the property,...

AC condenser not kicking on. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in SW Florida and yeasterday there was a power outage that left us without power for some time. FPL said that there was a main line that was tken down by a tree. We did not immediately turn the AC on after the power came back on (the thermostat was off when power returned). We turned it...

Blower kicking on/off [ 3 Answers ]

Hi folks, 1st time I've used the internet for asking questions. Have Bryant furnace. Blower is running,but, is stopping and starting, it sounds like "thumping" in the attic, continuously throughout the cycle. Even after the cycle stops it continues to "thump". This happens for both the furnace and...

View more questions Search