Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deviltrigger05 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 11:15 PM
    Washing Machine drains to the sump pump
    I bought a house out in the country. My washing machine is in the basement and drains into the sump pump. The washing machine water is then pumped out to a drainage ditch. Is there anything I should be worried about. I've live in the house for a year and haven't had any problems... just curious.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2008, 08:01 AM
    I'm a great believer in," If it ain't broke then don't fix it". While you would be called on a code violation in a urban area if the ditch and the sump don't smell and you're happy with your present set up I see no reason to install a grease trap and route it to your septic tank. Regards, Tom

Feb 9, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Thank you very much. I'm in complete agreement with you.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 09:33 AM
    If you live in an uninorporated area you should be OK. Where do you live and do you know where that ditch drains?

Feb 9, 2008, 10:12 AM
    It drains into a drain basin in the ditch in front of my house. I live in Williamstown, Oh. The closest corporate limit is 12 miles north of me.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 11:46 AM
    You should be fine then. Some say I'm a tree hugger and just don't want that ditch to drain into a stream. Most laundry detergents are petroleum based.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer drains into sump pump [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My washer drains into the sump pump and I don't want it to. What will we need to do in order for it drain separately? The house originally had a septic tank, but was changed to sewer about 10 years ago. Hope this is enough info for you.

Draining a washing machine into a sump pump hole/well [ 2 Answers ]

I want to install a washing machine in my furnace/water tank room but there is no easy drain path. However there's a drain hole/"well" dug in the concrete floor (about 1.25 cubic feet) with a sump pump in the well and there's constantly a small bit of water in this well which the pump actively...

Sump pump backing up into washing machine drain [ 5 Answers ]

I just connected my new sump pump (1 1/2” line) to my vertical stack (2”). This is connected to the stack with a tee approximately 6-8” below where my washing machine tee. When my sump pump turned on, it back flowed out of my washing machine drain. What can I do to keep the water from coming out...

Toilet closest to washing machine gurgles and backs up when washing machine drains. [ 2 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the toilet in the next room gurgles and the bowl partially fills. I have taken these steps: Ran hose down vent pipe on roof. No backup noticed. Had plumber snake from outside wall cleanout by washing machine and 1/2 bath toilet to city sewer line in alley,...

Basement washing machine w/o sump pump? [ 1 Answers ]

How high can a washing machine pump it's drain water out? We want to move our washing machine to the basement and wonder if we can get away without installing a sump pump.

View more questions Search