Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newmummy Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2008, 07:28 PM
    10 month old won't go to sleep without a bottle in bed
    I have a 10 month old boy who has decided to go to bed with a bottle the last two weeks I had a lot of trouble trying to get him to go to sleep and I couldn't figure out why he has being like it then one night he was reaching out for his bottle before I walked off to put him to bed so he took it with him to bed and he was asleep in about two minutes he usually has a bottle half hour before going to bed but he has that the same time as he usually does and then he wants one to go to bed with as well so he has another 150 mls in bed but my question is I don't want him to get into a routine of going to bed with a botte I don't like the looks of it and things I have heard about it is there anyway of getting him to go to sleep without it before relised what was wrong it used to take neally 2 hours to get him to go to sleep and its to stressful please any advice on this would be great...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 07:42 PM
    How much does he eat during the day? He might still feel hungry at night.
    A couple of my kids wanted a bottle at bedtime. I gave them about 8 to 10 oz of baby cereal a couple hours before bedtime instead.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 07:46 PM
    My older son took a bottle to bed and ended up with a mouthful of chrome crowns until his permanent teeth came in. (The dentist called it "nursing bottle mouth.")

A bad habit is being established, and it will take a little work and time to change it.

In the evening, spend time playing with him -- playing on the floor with blocks and stacking things and filling things and emptying things and clapping and singing. Then begin the wind-down. In the order that's best for you, give him a warm bath, put clean jammies on him, allow him a simple snack (Cheerios or other cereal, soft fruit cubes, jello, etc.) and, after a final diaper change if necessary, in a darkened room and in a rocker or cozy chair cuddle with him and hum or softly sing to him while you feed him a final bottle. Lay him in his crib and turn off a dim light that was on in that room, kiss him, and say goodnight. Then quietly leave. If he fusses, repeat the last few steps, sing part of a lullabye, and then leave. Let him cry for a while, and repeat as often as you need to. Don't take him out of the crib or the room. This will go on for several nights until he realizes this is bedtime.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 07:50 PM
    Yeah my friend always put her baby to bed with a bottle of apple juice. She NEVER cleaned the bottles you could see apple juice and milk build up in them and her kid had to have all her teeth pulled by the time she was three years old.

When my kids would want a bottle at bedtime. I made sure I took it out of their bed as soon as they fell asleep so that they couldn't keep taking it every time they woke up during the night.
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 08:58 PM
    If your son has to have a bottle, try giving him luke warm water in a bottle. However, its not a good idea for baby to go to bed with a bottle at all, esp once they get teeth. ( my doc said even before they get teeth, as the liquid could pool in their mouth and cause an ear infection) unfortunately at around this time, it's a matter of a little tough love.its usually harder on us moms then the kids I think.I made so many bedtime mistakes with my first son, and as a result, I didn't get him going to bed and sleeping through the night on his own until he was 2 1/2 and my second son was born... now that's rough... not what you want. So this time around, I did things a little better.get him into a night time routine, make sure he has had plenty of food to eat (some baby food/cereal, tablefood etc, depending on what you child can handle, is a good idea, as it stays in the tummy longer)and a bottle. (I like to do it about an hour before bedtime, as it gives the food time to settle, but not enough time to completely digest out and have him wanting more.) make sure you put him to bed the same time every night, and keep his routine constant. Once its time for bed, turn off the light, hug him, kiss him, tell him its time for bed, lay him down and leave. He will fuss and cry and have a hard time of it. Typically this only lasts about a week, and he will cry himself out and put himself to sleep with shorter bursts of crying each night. I personally found it helpful to have ear buds in my ears, in the other room with some calming music on, so that I didn't have to listen to him cry. It just about broke my heart every time and I gave in every time I didn't listen to music, so it's a good idea, try it out. My doctor also told me that really once your baby passes 10 lbs, there is no reason for them to need to eat through the night. Now to me, 10 lbs doesn't seem heavy enough/old enough for that, hah, but then I have know people that their babies start sleeping through the night once they are 1-3 months old, so I guess it might make sense. (granted, breastfeed babies need to eat more often then formula fed babies.) Once they reach this age they tend to start finding things that comfort them and calm them, whether its going to bed with a bottle, waking up for nightly feedings, thumbs, binkis, toys, etc. its just a matter of teaching the child how to put themselves to sleep, without the aid of the things that are bad for them in the long run.its just a habit, so avoid the bad habit before it completely forms. I am going through this with my second son as we speak. He does not go to bed with bottles any more (he just got his first tooth. I admit, I was occasionally a bit lazy before he got teeth as far as the bottle goes. But DEFINITELY make sure you get the bottle away once they are asleep, you don't want them drinking bad milk in the middle of the night) he has one right bfore he goes to bed. He puts himself to sleep, is now weened, and if/when he wakes in the night, I just let him cry himself back to sleep. Each night he gets better and better, I think he is even close to sleeping through the night now. Which makes me happy(I'm 6 weeks pregnant, and appreciate all the sleep I can get.) just stick to it, it'll be rough at first, but it will get better.
    vtram7 Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Feb 7, 2008, 11:59 PM
    I agree with NOHELP 4U... my little ones were still hungry at night, you can get those nurse feeders and put cereal in the bottle right before bed, or feed him cereal before bed... he will probably cry the first few nights because you have started this bottle thing, but he will stop... :) Hang in there! :)
    newmummy Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2008, 03:37 AM
    To answer your question about how much he eats during the day he has a bottle at 8 then at 9 he has porridge or toast or something breakfasty then at 11.45 he has youghurt 120g or fruit 170g then he has a piece of fruit a piece of cheese and 2 biscuits then at 4.45 he has 200g of vegetables, baked beans, spaghetti or pasta then he has a bottle at 7 then when he goes to bed which is at 8.30 he has another bottle which he never used to have until 2 days ago when I figured out that its what he was wanting...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tempur-pedic or sleep number bed? [ 18 Answers ]

Do you have one of these beds? Which is the better one, and is in necessary to buy the foundation? Do they really help with back pain? Tell me anything you can about either one. Thanks

He won't sleep in his own bed! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, my son turns 4 in December, since he's been 2 we made his bedroom up, turned his cot into a bed and made it into a right litlle boys room, cars, bob the builder, Anyway when I put him 2 bed I usually read him a story, and he falls asleep in his own bed, but EVERY night around 2-3am, (uk time)...

My Dog won't sleep in its bed! [ 2 Answers ]

We have just got ourselves a 2yr old golden retreaver. She is generally a well behaved well trained dog, who has taken to our children very well. Our only problem is that she won't sleep in her bed. Even if we try and put her in it she cowers back and struggles away. Its almost as if she is...

9 mo suddenly will not sleep in his bed [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 9 mo old and 3 weeks ago he got an ear infection. Since then he will not go to sleep in his bed at night. His ears are all better and he still want sleep. I've tried giving him Bendryl and he cried last night for an hour and half. The doctor says he is stubborn and wished me good...

Should l have my pup sleep in my bed? [ 4 Answers ]

Would we get more sleep if we allowed our pup to sleep in our bedroom? Im not sure which way we should go with this stick it out and let her keep sleeping in her crate in a separate room but then we wake up at 5:30am, or have her in our bedroom but keep her in her crate or just let her sleep with...

View more questions Search