Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ester Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2006, 05:09 PM
    Civil Action
    I am a co signer on an auto loan. The auto was repossed serveral years ago and the remaining balance due was never paid. I am being sued for balance due, Interest and Legal fees. My question is can the sheriff sell my things and since my husbands not on the loan can they go after his truck that's in his name only.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2006, 05:30 PM
    Sell
    The sheriff is not going to sell your belongings,

They will sue you and get a judgment against you. Then they can attach any of your bank accounts, and garnish your pay check up to about 25 percent.

Depending on what state you live in, they may not may not be able to go after your spouses money also.

You are learning a hard lesson on not co signing for people.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 07:16 AM
    Co-sign
    Hi, Ester,
    My wife co-signed a loan for a car also; but it wasn't very much money involved, couple of hundred dollars. She learned a valuable lesson when her "friend" did not pay off the remainder of the loan, leaving her with a small amount to pay off at the bank. She paid it, and we "wrote it off" as a learning experience.
    The other answer before mine is very good. The Sheriff can't sell your stuff, but a "lean" could be put on anything you own. If the suit is for a large amount of money, you might consider getting a lawyer, who is experienced with this type of issue. He/she might be able to "negotiate" a proper settlement.
    I do wish you the best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pin-action [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any studies or statistics showing the relationship between the weight of the ball used and the number of strikes?

Civil action notice about credit card debt [ 12 Answers ]

I just got a notice of civil action regarding some $2800 in unsecured credit card debt. I think it dates back to '99-'00 or maybe '01. There has never been money to pay this debt or about 4 others totaling >$10k because of illness, unemployment, and student status. I thought about filing...

Civil Case [ 7 Answers ]

My best friend was recently killed by a drunk habitual offender with a long criminal record, driving 60 miles an hour on 25 mile residential street. The DA has offered a plea, he will only be facing 75 months if accepted (nothing for all the heartache he has caused). Can the family file a civil...

The name of action in English [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, I saw the following image on an e-maginze. http://www.dit.hcmut.edu.vn/~lhhai/stuff/child.jpg In the picture, the girl is putting her hand on her nose and try to block it. I'm vietnamese and I don't know how to call that action in English. Can you help me ? Thank in advance Ly Hoang...

Civil War [ 1 Answers ]

The 'North' and the 'South' were not different nations. I'd base my argument around defining a nation (no easy job). Then, go onto who benefits from calling it "War of aggression"? it’s a highly emotive name. In what ways did events fit that description? And Who benefits from calling it...

View more questions Search