Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbcronan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 11:33 PM
    Seizure of vehicle
    My friend was arrested for poss w/ intent and the city of clarkesville ga. Filled a summons to seize it but the truck did not belong to him it was his brothers what are my chances of saving this vehicle
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 12:14 AM
    Probably slim. They have a right to file on any vehicle used during a crime... from my understanding... you might be able to talk with the district attorney and if the owner did not give the driver permission to use the vehicle there is a chance, but that would mean that the vehicle was stolen and might result in more charges. In some cases, the vehicle might be returned if no knowledge of the wrong doing was present. I am not a lawyer, and only trying to offer a little bit of ideas... but it doesn't seem like it will be an easy thing to accomplish.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 04:50 AM
    Hello bar:

The brother is going to have to appear to show the truck is his.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 06:01 AM
    [QUOTE=excon]Hello bar:

The brother is going to have to appear to show the truck is his.

In NYS the vehicle is subject to seizure (unless it's stolen) under the assumption that the owner could have/should have known is was going to be used in the commission of a "crime" and should have kept it under his/her own care and control.

Same if you're crossing the border with contraband in someone else's car - good-bye car!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    the owner could have/should have known is was going to be used in the commission of a "crime" and should have kept it under his/her own care and control.
    Hello again, Judy:

No argument there. I should have expanded on my answer. Not only does he have to show the truck is his, he's going to have to show that he DIDN'T know it was going to be used in a crime.

It's a civil case so only a preponderance of the evidence is needed.

The same thing is true for cash seizures. If one can show income covering the amount of cash seized, one will get it back. Most times, however, the people don't even show up for the seizure hearings and lose their property by default.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tow vehicle [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 31' airstream trailer. GVW is 4600lbs. Will my 1999 jeep grand cherokee be able to adequately tow this trailer. The jeep has a V-8 engine which produces about 235 horsepower. Thanks for any input. Jim

Vehicle bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I file bankruptcy on my vehicle and was able to keep it as long as I kept make payments. The vehicle broken down on me and now I have to pay for repairs on it. I live check to check but need the vehicle to run so I can get myself to work. My question is if I am behind on payments can the loan...

Writ of seizure [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had my checking account garnished for 1300 dollars by a collection company. Are they allowed to take all my funds of only the 25% allowed by law on wage garnishments

Judgement for vehicle [ 2 Answers ]

Three years ago I had bad credit and brought a cadillac for 14500 with the interest it was 18500. I paid 4000 down and 600 a month for 10 months but the car kept breaking down so the car repair fees was expensive. I fell behind on paying the car and I was sued for 9700. After the judgement I paid...

View more questions Search