Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quest1421 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 11:28 AM
    Persistent clog
    I have 3 floor drains in my basement that are clogged.I have ran commercial auger down
    The main sewer line twice.I have snaked the vent tube but hit something that I can't get through, should I be abke to run this freely to the main sewer line.toilets are not affected by the clog. Thanks
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 11:39 AM
    You should be able to run a snake down from a vent and into a drain line unobstructed. Sounds like something is clogging the drain line as you suspected. Snake the vent and then pull the snake back WITHOUT pushing back into snake drum... and measure distance that you felt blockage... transfer that measure to pipe and try to see where the snake ended inside house... see from there.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 11:46 AM
    OK, so your blockage is not in the main sewer line. It must be in the pipes of the floor drains. May be in the trap. Try plunging. Getting a snake through a 2" trap is pretty hard. Anything smaller is almost impossible. You might try a closet auger but probably won't be successful. Try a sticking wire coat hanger to stir things up. Then plunge. Try a cup of bleach or boiling water to soften things, then plunge. There is also a gaget, don't remember what its called but it's a rubber diapharn the fits on the end of a garden hose. The water pressure from the hose is supposed to expand the diaphram and seal the pipe then water is forced under pressure through the pipe. I have a couple of them but have never used. Seems like it should work if blockage is before first vent.

Feb 6, 2008, 01:51 PM
    I have tried all of the ideas you suggested nothing works. Thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Is it possible that your floor drains may be pipe to daylight or to the foundation drain. I have hear that some municipalities don't allow floor drains to the sewer line.

Feb 7, 2008, 09:03 AM
    I'm in the country in septic system. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Harold is right about floor drains don't always go into the sewer or septic. Do you have a sump pump? Floor drains in my area go to the sump only. How are you testing these drains to see if they are plugged?

Feb 9, 2008, 01:27 PM
    When I put a waterhose down my vent tube from roof I have water running out of upstairs bathroom. Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 04:32 PM
    This means you have a plugged drain above the first fllor connection from the second floor.

Feb 9, 2008, 05:35 PM
    How do I go about fixing this.and why does this not affect my toilets.only backs up on the floor darins in basement. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Persistent coughing [ 1 Answers ]

I picked up an infection at the beginning of April this year that seemed to go straight to my chest. It gave me an awful, persistent cough which always left me struggling for breath and trying desperately to suck back some air into my lungs (even while the coughing fits, which sometimes lasted for...

Persistent air lock [ 1 Answers ]

Hi please could you help, I have had my bathroom refurbished and had a new power shower mixer valve and electric pump fitted. I also had the cold water tank replaced as it was old and contaminated. I persistently keep get a recurring air lock in the hot water pipe wich I can clear temporarily using...

Persistent cough [ 1 Answers ]

I have been coughing for 3 weeks now. It doesn't seem to be getting any better but worse. I am also starting to spit up blood. What could this be?

Persistent Fever [ 2 Answers ]

In the past 2 months, I have been regularly facing a weird problem of body temperature. During certain periods of the day i.e... when I get up in the moring, noon and evenigntime, my body is warmer, I feel feverish. I am 28 years old lady. Married in April 2006. I have not yet conceived. I...

Persistent Termites [ 1 Answers ]

My home was treated for termites a year ago. The chemical used was Termidor. Since that time, I have noticed termite activity in the same location on three separate occasions and the area was retreated twice. I noticed more termite activity today so I am very concerned. My pest control company...

View more questions Search